ACT Scores in anyone know how to read 'em?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - so I got my act scores. I don't really know if they're good or bad...anyone with experience know?

English 28 out of 36 (90th percentile)
- Usage/mechanics 17 out of 18 (98th percentile)
- Rhetorical Skills 13 out of 18 (82nd percentile)
Mathematics 26 out of 36 (85th percentile)
- Pre-Algebra/Elem Alg 14 out of 18 (83rd percentile)
- Alg./Coord. Geometry 13 out of 18 (86th percentile)
- Plane Geometry/Trig. 13 out of 18 (84th percentile)
Reading 27 out of 36 (83rd percentile)
- Soc. Studies/Sciences 16 out of 18 (94th percentile)
- Arts/Literature 12 out of 18 (66th percentile)
Science 26 out of 36 (90th percentile)
Composite(Average) 27 out of 36 (90th percentile)

Unless I'm wrong (and I probably am), I think the important score is the composite score....if so - is 27 good?

The x out of y portion shows your score and the possible score.

The Percentile portion indicates into which range you fall. 50th percentile means of all persons taking the test, 50% scored lower than you. 75th percentile means 75% scored lower than you, etc.

Your composite is good, but your individuals will matter depending on the major and school. Overall, not bad scores, but IMO you should make more time for arts and literature. :)

SkyHog said:
Ok - so I got my act scores. I don't really know if they're good or bad...anyone with experience know?

English 28 out of 36 (90th percentile)
- Usage/mechanics 17 out of 18 (98th percentile)
- Rhetorical Skills 13 out of 18 (82nd percentile)
Mathematics 26 out of 36 (85th percentile)
- Pre-Algebra/Elem Alg 14 out of 18 (83rd percentile)
- Alg./Coord. Geometry 13 out of 18 (86th percentile)
- Plane Geometry/Trig. 13 out of 18 (84th percentile)
Reading 27 out of 36 (83rd percentile)
- Soc. Studies/Sciences 16 out of 18 (94th percentile)
- Arts/Literature 12 out of 18 (66th percentile)
Science 26 out of 36 (90th percentile)
Composite(Average) 27 out of 36 (90th percentile)

Unless I'm wrong (and I probably am), I think the important score is the composite score....if so - is 27 good?

I guess you'll not be a writer or art historian.... :rolleyes:

The importance of the scores will be determined by your proposed major. Engineering will look more heavily at math/science than arts. Political science will look at Rhetorical...

The composite is not bad at all...

You're more well rounded than I was.
My science was 35/36
Math was 31/36
and English was....well....we won't talk about that.

N2212R said:
and English was....well....we won't talk about that.
If you're scores were bad enough, we certainly won't talk about it well. ;) :D :rofl:

Greebo said:
If you're scores were bad enough, we certainly won't talk about it well. ;) :D :rofl:

hukd on fonix werkd fer me!

ACT? I guess I'm too old. SAT back in the late 60s. 748 math, 697 verbal. That, and a couple of bucks, will get you a cup of coffee. :D

Greebo said:
The x out of y portion shows your score and the possible score.

The Percentile portion indicates into which range you fall. 50th percentile means of all persons taking the test, 50% scored lower than you. 75th percentile means 75% scored lower than you, etc.

Your composite is good, but your individuals will matter depending on the major and school. Overall, not bad scores, but IMO you should make more time for arts and literature. :)

Those that don't learn from history are destined to repeat it.

Wish I had your math & computer skills...

Ghery said:
ACT? I guess I'm too old. SAT back in the late 60s. 748 math, 697 verbal. That, and a couple of bucks, will get you a cup of coffee. :D
And 900 in memory. How in the heck do you remember your scores?

Richard said:
I thought ACT was old school and SAT was the new, modern test? I do remember that I scored a 27 on the ACT many years ago, but don't have a clue what the individual scores were.

Ghery said:

Midwestern high schools and colleges generally ask for the ACT's, whereas out east the SAT's take priority. They are interchangeable at most institutions, however.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Just a 1300 (fiancee was a 1570)

SkyHog said:

When I was younger (lonnnggg time ago) they didn't have these. I
would imagine the percentile is important .. how you compared to
others taking it. My daughter's scores were 98th percentile as a junior
and she got a full ride scholarship for next year. I tell her she must
have gotten her brains from my X because I'm sure not that smart.

Richard said:

My wife and I were deadly in Trivial Persuits. :D

astanley said:
Midwestern high schools and colleges generally ask for the ACT's, whereas out east the SAT's take priority. They are interchangeable at most institutions, however.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Just a 1300 (fiancee was a 1570)

And while I took it (both at an east coast high school and at home in eastern Washington), Washington State University didn't care and wanted the Washington Pre-College Test. A different beast of the state's own creation. Whatever floats their boats... That was a looong time ago.

Last edited:
Richard said:

Heh... I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers numbers like crazy. 790 math, 680 verbal. V61-713 and V61-714, parents' license plates from when I was 5 years old. 846-4750, girlfriend's phone number from thirteen years ago. I know my driver's license number, pilot certificate number, and just about every other number I've ever known. It can be a very useful skill, I just wish I could remember names as easily as I remember numbers! I usually have to meet people two or three times before I remember names. :redface:

flyingcheesehead said:
Heh... I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers numbers like crazy. 790 math, 680 verbal. V61-713 and V61-714, parents' license plates from when I was 5 years old. 846-4750, girlfriend's phone number from thirteen years ago. I know my driver's license number, pilot certificate number, and just about every other number I've ever known. It can be a very useful skill, I just wish I could remember names as easily as I remember numbers! I usually have to meet people two or three times before I remember names. :redface:
Braggart! I remember the addresses of the first three houses I lived in. I remember the phone numbers of those 2nd two. As far as names I remember the name of every teacher I had from 1st through every teacher at HS. I do remember numbers better than names though.

I remember our phone number from the 1950s. SKyline 3-2754.

How many of you young wipersnappers even remember when a word was associated with the first 2 digits of your 7 digit phone number? :D

Ghery said:

How many of you young wipersnappers even remember when a word was associated with the first 2 digits of your 7 digit phone number? :D

Ghery, as one of the young folks (just now approaching 40) I remember the word association. Moreover, I also remember when my nana got her first electric fridge/freezer, yes, this was the early 70's. Before that she would get ice delivered for the "ice box".
CAVU,
Kevin

Ghery said:

We used the coconut telegraph until I was 15. Then we moved to CA which means we got electrified. My outlaws in IL/IN, they had those letter/number combos.

Ghery said:

Prescot 12379. The telco had to drop the name thing in their first attempt to expand the universe of numbers available for phones. This was long before they started using area codes that didn't have a 0 or 1 as the 2nd digit or using what used to be area codes for prefixes.

I also remember numbers without trying....my credit card number, my SSN, my driver's license number, my pilot's license number, my bank account numbers, etc.

Also remember my phone number when I was a wee little lad. 892-1609.

I made a 19 on my ACT. I was a little influenced at the time by chemical liquids that taste good. Yes, that was stupid and I wouldnt suggest it. I did get into a state university but had to take certain subjects over. However, I was blessed and they gave me a science degree (computer science).....so there is happiness. And yes, some people do grow up. :)

Brent Bradford
www.officialflyingturds.com

Back