ACS written question

mryan75

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
mryan75
Hi all,

I've heard that with the ACS, your written score matters in the sense that the oral covers the material that you got wrong in your written. In other words, if you get 100 on the written, you can expect a quick (or at least quicker) oral than had you gotten a 70. Is there any truth to this?

The reason I ask is that I'm working on the instrument written; I know I would pass if I took it right now, but if there's a practical benefit to getting a higher score, I'd like to avail myself of that benefit.

Thanks!

Has nothing to do with the ACS, the examiner has always had the option of asking you about subjects you got wrong on the written. They don't always do so.

I know one DPE that insists that an applicant’s CFI send him the test code for all missed questions from the written prior to the practical so he can make sure he includes those areas on the oral. Most DPEs that I have observed don’t even look at the error codes so they have no idea what was missed on the written. They give almost the same oral to every applicant whether they scored a 70 or a 100 on the written. As with almost everything else with the practical, it just depends on the DPE that you use.

For my instrument checkride, I studied extra hard on the written questions I missed...I wasn't asked about a single one by the DPE.

I have heard that if you get a 100% on the written the DPE might take the opportunity during the oral to really see if you know your stuff. So I'm aiming for low 90's lol.

According to the ACS,
The evaluator should look up the LSC code(s) on the applicant’s AKTR in the Learning Statement Reference Guide available using the following link: Learning Statement Reference Guide. After noting the subject area(s), the evaluator can use the corresponding Area(s) of Operation/Task(s) in the ACS to narrow the scope of material for retesting, and to evaluate the applicant’s understanding of that material in the context of the appropriate ACS Area(s) of Operation and Task(s).
In the context of testing and checking, the FAA considers “should” to mean that there is an expectation that it will happen, and the examiner needs a good reason not to.

Whether the examiner probes more deeply in those areas or simply ensures that knowlege using his normal oral questions is pretty much up to him.

"...I know one DPE that insists that an applicant’s CFI send him the test code..."

It's been awhile since I was a DPE, but back in the olden days an applicant had to hand the examiner his/her test result and it went in to OKC with the rest of the paperwork.

Bob

Most don’t care, a proper oral will cover it all anyways.

Just pass it, no one cares.

I have never had a DPE look at my written test results. They just check to make sure I passed and move on to the questioning. The DPE's I've used have their own list of questions ready to go that they ask every student regardless of their test scores.

"...I know one DPE that insists that an applicant’s CFI send him the test code..."

It's been awhile since I was a DPE, but back in the olden days an applicant had to hand the examiner his/her test result and it went in to OKC with the rest of the paperwork.

Bob

That still happens but most DPEs only look at the score and ensure that the name matches the rest of the paperwork. In my experience very few pay any attention to the codes for the areas the applicant missed questions.

However it turns out, your CFI is should review your missed areas on your test results.

How good or bad you’re doing in the oral usually determines how hard the oral is gonna be. If they see you struggle on an answer, they might throw you a line to help, or they may see how far of a hole you dig yourself.

I failed one question on the written, so that's 98%. DPE asked what my missed question was. Told him it was a question about Vx/Vy. I explained him the difference between the two and we continued with the oral.
Later on he asked me again about Vx/Vy, to make sure I know it and not just memorized their definition.

Back