ACS Slow Flight "gaff" to be fixed in October...

I just posted the following to COPA:

A few points...

1) Not all planes have stall warning horns - neither of my Citabrias did.

2) Many that DO have stall warning horns cannot be turned off - the simple "party horns" found in small Cessna's, for instance.

3) Some, like my Sky Arrow, have a "party horn" that is not adjustable and may go off ridiculously before the stall - so much so that its like the "boy who cried wolf".

4) I consider "slow flight" and "flight at minimum controllable airspeed" two very different things.

Slow flight is flight at anything less than normal cruise, like the speeds one might normally use in the pattern.

Flight at minimum controllable airspeed is flight at a speed such that any further increase in angle of attack and/or load factor will cause an immediate stall.

Both are valuable exercises, IMHO. First, a student learns that as the speed decreases, so does control effectiveness. Then, flight at minimum controllable airspeed teaches the sights, sounds and feel of the plane right before it stalls - which I think is quite valuable. And in small, underpowered planes, teaches that on the back side of the power curve even full power may not stop a descent.

So, let me say I'm not a fan of the rewrite.

4) I consider "slow flight" and "flight at minimum controllable airspeed" two very different things.

Slow flight is flight at anything less than normal cruise, like the speeds one might normally use in the pattern.

Flight at minimum controllable airspeed is flight at a speed such that any further increase in angle of attack and/or load factor will cause an immediate stall.

Both are valuable exercises, IMHO.

Eddie I couldn't agree more. I think most pilots believe they're the same thing.

Well, nobody REALLY flies at MCA, 'cause you'd stall every time a sparrow farts. So, the old definition wasn't very good either.

But we do like to approximate MCA, like a few knots above stall.

...3) like my Sky Arrow, have a "party horn" that is not adjustable and may go off ridiculously before the stall - so much so that its like the "boy who cried wolf"...

add the Cessna Skycatcher to that group. When I was training and doing my slow flight the horn would go off at unpredictable times and then not at all when performing the power off/on stalls.

My PPL checkride is (supposedly) soon. I'm just going to ask the DPE what the heck he wants to see. All this horn-no horn stuff is driving me crazy.

add the Cessna Skycatcher to that group. When I was training and doing my slow flight the horn would go off at unpredictable times and then not at all when performing the power off/on stalls.

As an aside, the stall warning horn in my Sky Arrow is a Cessna part - from a C150 or 152, I believe.

And, I'm Experimental, so I experimented, and this helped knock it down a few knots:

29570844960_b08b21ff04.jpg

Still chirps sometimes as much as 15 kts over stall speed - it was even worse before.

Last edited:
I just posted the following to COPA:

A few points...

1) Not all planes have stall warning horns - neither of my Citabrias did.

Yep.

2) Many that DO have stall warning horns cannot be turned off - the simple "party horns" found in small Cessna's, for instance.

Some. Yep.

3) Some, like my Sky Arrow, have a "party horn" that is not adjustable and may go off ridiculously before the stall - so much so that its like the "boy who cried wolf".

Many of them act weird. I could get a "beep" out of the Seminole on every Short Field takeoff, and I'm not even rotating until 75 knots, with a stall speed of 57. And that system doesn't even activate until the mains are off the ground.

I mean okay, the systems aren't perfect and I'm not going to ***** if it goes off at 75 when it's supposed to go off at 74.1... But there's ways to trick them all by a knot or two.

So, agreed.

Both are valuable exercises, IMHO. First, a student learns that as the speed decreases, so does control effectiveness. Then, flight at minimum controllable airspeed teaches the sights, sounds and feel of the plane right before it stalls - which I think is quite valuable. And in small, underpowered planes, teaches that on the back side of the power curve even full power may not stop a descent.[/QUOTE]

And that's the problem with the ACS definition. It clearly says to avoid the stall warning completely and has no mention of flight at MCA.

So, let me say I'm not a fan of the rewrite.

The SAFO seems like they're reaching for a rationalization of the mistake of removing the necessity of teaching MCA. I know of no one who has any experience who wouldn't, but if you just read the ACS and didn't know better, you'd say it's no longer a skill FAA wants anyone to learn or demonstrate.

It's just totally silly that now we're going to have to reference a second document (the SAFO) until the ACS gets the update.

Technically this isn't "the rewrite". This is "the document with the excuses". The rewrite AFAIK hasn't been released even in draft form yet.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/private_airplane_acs.pdf

Page 54 of the above is the current stuff.

"Failure to manage pitch attitude and power to avoid a stall warning or a stall."

And ...

"Establish and maintain an airspeed, approximately 5-10 knots above the 1G stall speed, at which the airplane is capable of maintaining controlled flight without activating a stall warning."

Nowhere in there does it mention MCA as important to see, know, do, or anything.

Everything is repetitively "stay away from the stall warning".

And now this SAFO... Ugh. I bet a month from now I could ask ten CFIs if they've even SEEN this SAFO and they'd say, "What SAFO??"... Some might even say, "What's a SAFO?"

(Just like some say, "What's a Chief Counsel letter?")

My PPL checkride is (supposedly) soon. I'm just going to ask the DPE what the heck he wants to see. All this horn-no horn stuff is driving me crazy.

That seems to be the only safe approach right now. My DPE on the twin ride was erring on the side of safety (fine by me...), and terminated maneuvers about five knots faster than I had been training that I'd need to take them to.

The pressure to do everything "safely" must be enormous on them right now from FAA. Which in a way is fine. He knew I was willing to go slower and had set up the maneuvers correctly and the airspeed was falling off as rapidly as usual in them, so he wasn't concerned I didn't know the aircraft's behavior.

It was just odd to me, considering that in contrast, my first DPE in 1992 made me fly around with the stall horn blaring for quite some time in the Skyhawk. Obviously you don't do that in the twin for safety reasons, but "slow flight" for training was just under ten knots above stall speed, and for the checkride was more than ten knots above stall speed. Sure made that easier... And I'm not complaining about easier!

Both speeds are certainly into the area of reversed command, but the buffer/cushion of the higher speed would have made it easier to cheat with pitch vs wedding power *right now*.

That said, the DA really was very high at altitude the other day, so tacking a little margin on wasn't a bad call on anyone's part. But indicated is indicated, doesn't matter what the DA is...

Last edited:
Well, nobody REALLY flies at MCA, 'cause you'd stall every time a sparrow farts. So, the old definition wasn't very good either.

But we do like to approximate MCA, like a few knots above stall.

Well my students fly at MCA, with the horn blaring, turning, climbing, and descending. Valuable maneuver IMO. And they fly and know the difference between MCA and Slow Flight.

Technically it doesn't matter what he "wants to see". What he's supposed to evaluate you on is the ACS.

If he's evaluating you on anything else, he shouldn't be a DPE.

Technically it doesn't matter what he "wants to see". What he's supposed to evaluate you on is the ACS.

If he's evaluating you on anything else, he shouldn't be a DPE.

It's highly unlikely any DPE would ask for things they can't justify from the ACS or PTS. But it's also unlikely they won't brief you on the flight anyway.

Mine said, "Are you familiar with all of the requirements listed in the PTS (Commercial ride) or do you have any questions?" And it sounded like he was required or felt compelled to ask. Or just thought it was a really good idea. (I don't know their guidance in the matter, I'm just going off of how it was phrased and asked.)

Additionally after I responded in the affirmative he reiterated, "And you understand that I'm required to evaluate you on the items exactly as outlined in the PTS?"

Somewhere along the line we got to talking about why he decided to become a DPE and he mentioned that his checkrides with FAA are pass/fired, essentially. There's no re-ride for a DPE who fails an FAA checkride. Your Designation is immediately pulled.

Pretty high stakes for those folks brave enough to be willing to sign up to be a Designee. I really didn't know that, until we chatted about it. Guess I never really thought about it.

I've started asking something similar...not because the FAA requires it, but it heads off some other potential issues.

Back