ACS Q&A Study thread for PPL check ride

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
Good morning everyone - I'd like to start a thread here in the Pilot Training forum for those of us getting close to check ride. There have been a few "quiz me" threads on POA before, what I would like to do is gather those questions here, and ask for some new ones. Anything that would be likely on the ACS is valid, "trick" questions included, but I would also like to keep it realistic so as to keep it most useful to those of us trying to prepare.

What I propose is replying to this thread with your question formatted like:

Q: text of question or scenario here

And then replying to yourself (or if replying to/answering/offering advice about another question please "quote" just the original question then offer your answer like:

A: my answer, assessment, etc. here.

That way those of us that are studying can read just the questions if we like, find the answers on our own, and then come back and read the answers from the board and see how we measure up.

If possible, I'd like to keep the discussion level on a high level, and not get into a lot of back and forth over minor differences in opinion. We all recognize that different examiners may have differing opinions on certain details, but the ACS and FAR/AIM should not be in dispute. Let's keep it civil.

If possible please mark actual questions/scenarios that have been asked recently (since the ACS took effect). Maybe with ACS or something.

I'll post some of the Q&AI have been collecting tonight when I get home (List is at home).
Thanks everyone who wants to participate!

Ok I got one, well...two.

Q1: When can you legally fly within 100ft of a cloud?
Q2: What is the FAA's official definition of "day hours".

How much flight line can you legally carry per the W&B of your aircraft?

Name the potato flames required equipment.

Careful. Both of those have multiple answers. At least three each, perhaps more.

Absolutely! They actually came from a flight instructor I used to fly with. Gets the thinking juices flowin' :)

Q1: When is it safe to fly without an AoA indicator? - couldn't resist.
Q1a: What are the circumstances required for an altimeter to be tested?*

This one is kinda relavant to my situation. I understand its required for IFR (Pitot/Static, Transponder, 24mo) So here is my gray area. The altimeter is required equipment for VFR. Is it still required to pass a 24mo check if only used for VFR?

This one is kinda relavant to my situation. I understand its required for IFR (Pitot/Static, Transponder, 24mo) So here is my gray area. The altimeter is required equipment for VFR. Is it still required to pass a 24mo check if only used for VFR?

No. That's an IFR requirement. See 14 CFR 91.411(a). There is no VFR accuracy requirement, but you should be reasonably sure it works to within 100 feet or you may get a lot of queries from Center/Approach.

No. That's an IFR requirement. See 14 CFR 91.411(a). There is no VFR accuracy requirement, but you should be reasonably sure it works to within 100 feet or you may get a lot of queries from Center/Approach.
Thanks! I know it leaks around the adjustment knob, but still tests accurate through 18k, so they wouldn't sign it off. I'm working on getting it overhauled, glad I'm not in violation until then.

Q1: Explain how a airfoil works

Q2: Explain the laws which allow a board without any airfoil to also be able to act as a wing.

Q3: What would your approach configuration be for landing with ice in your airframe.

Q4: Describe the benifits and draw backs from a aft CofG

Q5: You're approaching a controlled field, you have MVFR conditions in flight, but they are getting worse, your OAT is right around 0c, the next airport is 50nm away but does not have any weather reporting abilities, youre just about in the towers airspace and the tower responds "field conditions are now IFR with 2,000OVC and 2SM, state intentions". What do you do?

Back