Across the West: 3000nm, 37hrs, VFR in a 172

NOVA_Jim

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NOVA_Jim
I started my Private Pilot training in the spring of 2012 in Northern Virginia. On my first dual cross-country in early 2013, my instructor had me fly from Leesburg, Virginia (KJYO) to Cumberland, Maryland (KCBE) across a small stretch of the snow-covered Appalachian Mountains. I became hooked on the beauty of flying this terrain and made learning mountain flying one of my aviation goals. In 2015, I had the opportunity to take a multi-week sabbatical from work, which I used to fly 3000nm across the western US. This is the story of how I prepared for and safely flew this trip under VFR in a Cessna 172S.

https://jimaldridge.blogspot.com/

Excellent write up! I would love to do something similar to this sometime. I must have missed it, but how long did this trip take you each way?

Excellent write up! I would love to do something similar to this sometime. I must have missed it, but how long did this trip take you each way?

Total calendar time, including the commercial flight to UT, checking out, the flight to SFO, etc, was ~2 weeks.

Total calendar time, including the commercial flight to UT, checking out, the flight to SFO, etc, was ~2 weeks.
Not bad! Looked like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing!

That's one hell of a transcon. Great pictures. Congrats.

Awesome. Most of us never get to do something like that and should. It's what airplane's do best, after all.

I surveyed the weather along my planned route west by writing a computer script to process ten years of historical METAR data to show me what percentage of the time during daylight hours the weather met my personal minimums.

Nicely done.

What a great adventure. That's a very nice write up, thank you for sharing that with us!

Wow. What a trip. Beautiful pics and educational with the Lessons Learned. That you got the "bug" with that small stretch over the Appalachians really hit home with me. I got "rehooked" 6 years ago as a passenger in a C172 over the Cascades on beautiful clear spring day and returned to flying after 25 years away. Thanks for recording and sharing your Journey

What a trip! Thanks for the write up and sharing it along with your pictures!

Wow, doing that VFR in a 172, that's pretty amazing! Nice job on the blog!

I did east-west-east transcon in February with the Lancair with a surprising amount of it being in VMC. I also made Shelter Cove one of the stops (right after SQL, where I learned to fly) and was lucky enough to have great weather. It's such a beautiful airport.

Nice pictures,great trip I'm sure. Love the long cross countries.

Did a similar trip in a PA28 a few years back.

Back