Acrobatic training in MD?

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
Aerobatic training in MD?

Does anyone know of any aerobatic training in/near Central/Northern MD?

Thinking of taking a few lessons.

Last edited:
+1 for Bill Finnegan.... Dent Air, Annapolis, MD???

Might want to call Tom at Clearview and ask him. I believe there's a guy with a Citabria who gives instruction from there, not sure if it includes aerobatics.

Bill Finagin is excellent, but if you've never done aerobatics before, paying $400-500/hr to fly a Pitts may not be the best value, since you're paying for aircraft performance that you won't come close to being able to fully utilize for intro acro instruction. If you just want to fly a Pitts, go for it. If you want to do advanced spin instruction, the Pitts is best suited for that, and there's nobody better than Bill.

If you've never been upside down in an airplane before and just want to get some instruction in basic loops, rolls, and spins, Adam Cope in the DC area is very good. He instructs in a Super Decathlon, which is the perfect primary aerobatic trainer, and significantly cheaper than the Pitts. He's a friend and fellow competition acro pilot in the Advanced category (not with the Super D) and can also teach you to fly with precision if you get bit with the bug and become interested in doing more than lazy flopped loops and barrel rolls.

http://www.dcaerobatics.com/

Last edited:
I've never done aerobatics before and had one tailwheel flight many years ago.

I'd look at it as getting an endorsement(as a goal I guess - I work better with goals, not really important) with primary purpose being learning the envelopes of flying.

Budget is tight.

Potomac field is just too far(and way too close to DC road traffic) for this to be viable. It'd take me close to 2 hours to get there in any kind of traffic(which is near constant in that area). I thought about flying in there, but that means FRZ process.. Don't know if I want it that much.

Annapolis(Dent Air) or Bowie(Aerosport Limited) are better options. Still an hour drive in a "bad" direction. Sigh.

Lower PA would even be a better option, but I don't see anything closer than near Lancaster(could use as a fly-in too)

I fly out of Westminster.

Might want to call Tom at Clearview and ask him. I believe there's a guy with a Citabria who gives instruction from there, not sure if it includes aerobatics.

Do you have contact info. I can't find any kind of information on that airport anywhere(other than basics). It's pretty close and would be ideal.

Do you have contact info. I can't find any kind of information on that airport anywhere(other than basics). It's pretty close and would be ideal.

Identifier is 2W2. Manager is Tom Chapman. 410-795-1176

Trident Aircraft at the Bay Bridge Airport has a T-34. Not sure if they do aerobatic training in it, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Re: Aerobatic training in MD?

Search the IAC website for schools that suite your location.

Back