Acro Sport I

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
Had the pleasure of flying a friend's 150 HP Acro Sport I this weekend. It was a hoot. Performance felt in between a Decathlon and my Pitts. Lot more Cub-like than the Pitts. Lower power off descent rate, slower approach speed, and less sensitive on the ground. Roll rate a good bit slower than mine. Was a short flight and just did some loops, rolls, Cubans, hammers, and spins - upright and inverted. Similar to a Decathlon, it took a little work to get a clean spin entry rather than a spiral. CG seems very forward. Power off, it didn't really stall upright or inverted, just sorta mushed along. Spins really nice though, upright and inverted - wraps up nice and smooth (and fairly quick inverted), and recovers normally - within 1/4 turn. Takes a good bit of pressure and stick movement to maintain inverted flight. Had no elevator trim. Lots of fun doing consecutive level rolls. Makes you work a little harder physically than the Pitts. Controls are nicely balanced, and they talk to you. You know intuitively where it wants to be on approach and where you are during the round out and landing. Slips nice too, just doesn't drop out of the sky quite like the Pitts. First hammer attempt was pretty hilarious - more of a tail slide flop. I was waiting for it to start torquing on the upline like the Pitts, but it never did and I got too slow. Sweet little plane. Whole lot of fun for a $20K airplane. This one is one of the nicest in the country. Not many of them around, but these things are a good option for someone looking for a cheap acro ship that could compete up to the IAC Intermediate level.

9v9qib.jpg

Wow I can't believe he got that for in the 20's. One of the best examples I have seen. I guess the trick to finding nice birds for good prices is word of mouth.

Cash in hand and a want ad works well sometimes too. Was the case here. Only asked $21K for this one, and it's got a low time rebuilt IO-320, and is just a super clean airplane. Unusually good find. There are others out there, most just not as nice.

That looks like Gary Deems old Acro Sport. His first airplane
Was really nice, ten later it's down to a science.
Really light too, LSA compliant?
Dave

Yes, built by Gary Deem. Appears close to LSA requirements, but I think the regs leave a lot of questions regarding performance verification unanswered. Who does it? Who's qualified to do it? Must the FAA be involved in the process?

Back