Acro rides at Gastons?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Is anyone going to be doing Acro rides at Gastons? I know Dianas Citabria is ripped apart and I thought that I heard Chip was not bringing the Extra. Anywho, if anyone is going to be willing to flip me upside down, Ill bring my parachute down.

oh yea, how could i forget who i was riding with? jeez im losing it i think :)

tonycondon said:
oh yea, how could i forget who i was riding with? jeez im losing it i think :)

You have got to hear the latest update with my "story". It throws quite a twist on the ordeal.

tonycondon said:
Is anyone going to be doing Acro rides at Gastons? I know Dianas Citabria is ripped apart and I thought that I heard Chip was not bringing the Extra. Anywho, if anyone is going to be willing to flip me upside down, Ill bring my parachute down.
I am planning on bringing the Pitts. But it's a 660 nm trip, and that's hoping for a lot of good VFR weather.

My chutes are out of current pack. I may get them done by then. May not.

Ken, i could probably bring down two if it makes a difference...

I'll be in the Extra and I'll be happy to give some rides too. I'll give as many rides as I can and I'll have an extra parachute, a sic-sack, and a headset, so there so there's no need to bring any of that stuff.

If you want a ride in the Extra it would be a good idea to drop me an email or a PM. I know there are a couple of folks who didn't get a ride last year that I promised a ride to this year - be sure to send me a note to remind me.

Chip

tonycondon said:
Is anyone going to be doing Acro rides at Gastons? I know Dianas Citabria is ripped apart
Tony, Chip has graciously offered to let me fly his Citabria to Gaston's. :) Flying with me might not be as exciting as flying with Chip or Ken, though.

I'll bring my seatpack parachute, and my backpack parachute (they will both be current) and Ken can borrow them if he needs to.

Ok Diana, Flying with you would be more fun cause the airplane would be less capable. I will probably just bring my chute as it is mine and fitted to me etc.

tonycondon said:
Ok Diana, Flying with you would be more fun cause the airplane would be less capable.
I'll take that as a compliment. :D

tonycondon said:
I will probably just bring my chute as it is mine and fitted to me etc.
Sounds like a good idea. :) What kind is it?

its a Softie I think, with a seat cushion, fairly low profile. Its older, I got it from Allen Silver for cheap, as its service life is up in a couple years, according to him. But its a good chute and for 150 bucks i couldnt go wrong. You can kind of see it in my glider pics post when Im getting in the glider.

and you should take it as a compliment. The most respect I had for performers last year at Oshkosh was for the guy who did a show in a stock stearman and the "flying farmer" routine in the champ. Those guys were good sticks. Now Shawn Tucker and those others are good sticks too im sure, but when the airplane has soo much power that it can climb straight up and it rolls at 360/sec or faster, its pretty easy to make it do what you want it to, i think. spoken by a guy with no experience flying acro, just an onlooker so far.

Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:
You haven't seen me do acro, have you? I suck.
Somehow I doubt that. :) Although I'm looking forward to getting the chance to find out for myself. Besides, you've seen all my videos of my sucky (don't know why spellchecker didn't think sucky was a word) acro, so you can't be any worse than that. :D

Diana said:
Somehow I doubt that. :) Although I'm looking forward to getting the chance to find out for myself. Besides, you've seen all my videos of my sucky (don't know why spellchecker didn't think sucky was a word) acro, so you can't be any worse than that. :D

BTW, how come more videos have not been forthcoming....Not having a flyable airplane is no excuse! ;o)

Slinky said:
BTW, how come more videos have not been forthcoming....Not having a flyable airplane is no excuse! ;o)
LOL! Steve, you have a good point! :D

Here are a few clips that I haven't decided what to do with yet. If I put them to music, I think a good song might be "Looking For *Neutral* In All The Wrong Places."

Attachments

• Left spin with left aileron.wmv
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • Spins 2 and 3 April.wmv
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
gibbons said:
I know there are a couple of folks who didn't get a ride last year that I promised a ride to this year - be sure to send me a note to remind me.

Consider yourself reminded:D.

very cool diana. looks like the citabria has quite a nose down attitude in spins. did the in spin aileron help recovery?

tonycondon said:
looks like the citabria has quite a nose down attitude in spins.
Well, it usually looks like that to me, especially compared to the view from some other types while in their incipient phase of a spin.

tonycondon said:
did the in spin aileron help recovery?
Quicker than I had guessed it would have. Actually, all three of those spins turned into spirals.

yea i was just judging from the angle the wing made with the horizon. looked to be greater than 70 degrees! interesting on the in spin aileron experiment. I might have to try that

Diana, I am very interested, but I am also a wuss in these matters. So I will gladly be at the very, very back of the line.

Lance F said:
Diana, I am very interested, but I am also a wuss in these matters. So I will gladly be at the very, very back of the line.
Lance, I'm very gentle. :) And I don't do anything fancy. Maybe we can visit about it at Gaston's, and we could do just one easy roll and see if you like it, and if you do, we could do something else, too if you want. :)

Anything would be great. I've done some acro in gliders...loops, slow rolls, inverted flight (loved that). It's the spins, looking at the ground, that makes me nervous. and frankly I'd like to get over that.

Lance F said:
It's the spins, looking at the ground, that makes me nervous. and frankly I'd like to get over that.
Sounds like something that we can work on. :) Spins made me nervous the first 50 or more times I did them. They still make me nervous in a different type airplane with any other pilot (that might be a control/trust issue).

Diana didn't have a problem when I took her for a spin in the IAR...:goofy:

Diana said:
Sounds like something that we can work on. :) Spins made me nervous the first 50 or more times I did them. They still make me nervous in a different type airplane with any other pilot (that might be a control/trust issue).

Lance F said:

I'll try to remember to bring my Reilef Band (electric wrist nerve stimulator) along and you (or anyone else) is welcome to use it when I'm not. I find that it increases my tolerance for acro by 2-10x.

I'd like to try this. (Line length allowing :D ). But my issue is less one of physical discomfort and more one of :hairraise: .

Lance F said:
I'd like to try this. (Line length allowing :D ). But my issue is less one of physical discomfort and more one of :hairraise: .

Trust me on this, the mild tingling from the relief band is way better than that green face feeling.

Since there's it's very likely not one of those planes that get could airborne with me in it and nobody's bring in a 450HP Stearman, I'll offer rides complete with almost steep turns in a Cherokee heavy for the rest of us.

Back