Acqua Alta in Venice

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I wish we had stopped in Venice while we were in Italy last month instead of Palermo. I loved Pisa, Naples, Capri, Sorrento and especially Rome (I have GOT to go back to Rome someday...just wasn't enough time to see all I wanted to see), but I was not impressed by Palermo at all. :frown2:

I spent a New Year's Eve in St. Mark's Square about 8 years ago. I saw a little bit of high water on that trip but mostly it just made you walk a little gingerly/step to the side - no need for hip waders! I've been back a few times, and the most recent time (May of 2007) St. Mark's Square would see a little bit of water bubble up in a few spots, at night. It was gone by morning.

THIS is something else entirely.... wow.

I spent a New Year's Eve in St. Mark's Square about 8 years ago. I saw a little bit of high water on that trip but mostly it just made you walk a little gingerly/step to the side - no need for hip waders! I've been back a few times, and the most recent time (May of 2007) St. Mark's Square would see a little bit of water bubble up in a few spots, at night. It was gone by morning.

THIS is something else entirely.... wow.

I've seen it up high enough that I had to walk on the scaffolding sidewalks they'd put up. It all depends on the tide and winds at high tide. Several years ago I towed over a barge they were going to use for a massive seawall and floating gate set for the harbor they were going to build to take care of this problem, what happened to that? Did you see or hear of any of its construction?

I've seen it up high enough that I had to walk on the scaffolding sidewalks they'd put up. It all depends on the tide and winds at high tide. Several years ago I towed over a barge they were going to use for a massive seawall and floating gate set for the harbor they were going to build to take care of this problem, what happened to that? Did you see or hear of any of its construction?

That's what they've been arguing about for years now. Part of the issue I think is that they are afraid blocking off the lagoon (to what extent?) would increase bacteria count or otherwise make the water more stagnant. I don't remember precisely, I just know they didn't want to damage the eco-system while doing it.

Venice's history is utterly, utterly fascinating. I wrote a title for a travel-blog piece: "Thank you Attila the Hun" - if it weren't for him, would there be a Venice? And all the rest - cross roads of commerce for years, east-meets-west... the Napoleon years... it's sad that when people go there they just see "Disneyworld", because its depths are awe-inspiring. (yes, I've heard people describe it as Disneyworld).

I was stationed in Aviano Italy for a while and at least twice am month, I would take the train down to Venice and hang out in San Marcos Square. What a fun and gorgeous place it is!

Last edited:
I was stationed in Aviano Italy for a while and at least twice am month, I would take the train down to Venice and hang out in San Marcos Square. What a fun and gorgeous place it is!

as opposed to that.... what is it, a fungal growth?:confused:...in your avatar:nonod:

That's what they've been arguing about for years now. Part of the issue I think is that they are afraid blocking off the lagoon (to what extent?) would increase bacteria count or otherwise make the water more stagnant. I don't remember precisely, I just know they didn't want to damage the eco-system while doing it.

Yeah, they wouldn't want to harm the water quality there....:yikes:

Man that is one putrid swamp. Neat city, I love all the little rat warrens here and there. Sure is stinky though. First time I was there I was just a kid, 7 yrs old. My folks got us a gondola ride, just a short one across the Grand Canal. I was scared ****less that the thing would tip and dump us into that wretched waterway. With all the vaporetti buzzing around, it was pretty sloshy. I've never opted for a gondola ride since.

Yeah, they wouldn't want to harm the water quality there....:yikes:

Man that is one putrid swamp. Neat city, I love all the little rat warrens here and there. Sure is stinky though. First time I was there I was just a kid, 7 yrs old. My folks got us a gondola ride, just a short one across the Grand Canal. I was scared ****less that the thing would tip and dump us into that wretched waterway. With all the vaporetti buzzing around, it was pretty sloshy. I've never opted for a gondola ride since.

I think that was a Traghetto - an older gondola that just ferries you across the Grand Canal (since there are only 3 bridges along its entire span). Usually you stand in those things. I wouldn't want to do it either though. Some of the side canals aren't too bad, but the Grand Canal looks foul. I still wouldn't want to fall in. I read that Katherine Hepburn had eye problems for a long time after her fall into the canal in the one movie she was in...

Back