Acoustic

The trick to a barre is to roll your forefinger slightly so you’re using the hard, flat side of it rather than the fleshy fingertip.

Yeah, I know, that's the part I can't seem to get...:(

I think I know power chords, at least the easy ones lol. What's a partial barre, couple strings at a time?

I think I know power chords, at least the easy ones lol. What's a partial barre, couple strings at a time?

So a partial barre would be like the F chord, you'd only bar the top two strings (e and b) and fret the rest of the chord as normal. Then just don't play the first string (low e). Keep playing it that way, and play the F power chord (just the low e string first fret, and then the a and d strings 3rd fret, which is the top half of the full barre chord!) until you build the hand strength to barre the whole neck. One day it just clicks.

So a partial barre would be like the F chord, you'd only bar the top two strings (e and b) and fret the rest of the chord as normal. Then just don't play the first string (low e). Keep playing it that way, and play the F power chord (just the low e string first fret, and then the a and d strings 3rd fret, which is the top half of the full barre chord!) until you build the hand strength to barre the whole neck. One day it just clicks.

I'll give it a go. Thanks.

F is no problem, it’s B that I can’t play in an open chord. I just play the A shape slid up one fret and only the upper four strings.

Yeah B is another one. Fortunately don't see it that much in a tune.

I am basically self taught. Barre chords made sense when I finally understood the they were just open E, open A and open D moving up the neck and your index finger becomes the nut. (Of course Em, Am and Dm also)

I am basically self taught. Barre chords made sense when I finally understood the they were just open E, open A and open D moving up the neck and your index finger becomes the nut. (Of course Em, Am and Dm also)

I get the E shape part, the barre part not so much. :dunno:

Barre is mainly a matter of hand strength, then technique. No amount of technique will make up for not having the strength. Play them often.

This is the basis for CAGED theorybof guitar. Check it out!

If you’re not subscribed to Rick Beato on YT, and you like music production, you’re missing stuff like this...

So freaking cool that he has access to numerous studio masters to isolate out all the tracks.

Back