Accidents

Handsfield

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Hunter Handsfield
I don't get to either POA or AOPA webboard as much as I used to, but on both forums there seem to be fewer threads than there used to be on recent accidents. That may be good, perhaps a sign of reduced morbid interest. But I have to say I miss the dialog--even speculative comments--about recent mishaps and the potential causes and contributors. It seems to me that such discussions enhance safety by highlighting all our potential lapses (which of course is the philosophy behind Aviation Safety, Callback, and the accident reports in Flying and AOPA Pilot).

Since POA was founded and AOPA reformatted, there has been little dialog about whether it might be time for further changes. But I wonder how people would feel about a forum devoted to accidents, safety, and mishaps. Perhaps "Never Again" and "Lessons Learned" partly meet the need, but both are geared to personal experiences. I'm talking about discussing recent accident reports.

Any thoughts? Hunter

Hmmm... based on the number of posts titled "Jet Blue on CNN right now" and "turn on your TV" I'd say we got it covered.

I got my hands slapped by other users for "being too morbid" and "posting about accidents too often".

So I've stopped doing so as often here.

I understand their concerns - that non-pilots might see a lot of accident-related discussion and leap to the conclusion that flying is unsafe. I disagree.

Like most natural things, there is a waxing and waning to groups of high profile accidents, likely we will see more soon. :(

Handsfield said:
I'm talking about discussing recent accident reports.

Any thoughts? Hunter
If you want to see something discussed you should start the thread. Then you'll find out how many people are interested.

My thought is that when accidents are too recent and people start to discuss them virtually as they're happening, all the facts aren't in yet. Then by the time the report comes out people have moved on to other things. :dunno:

Sort of reminds me of a line in some movie about getting a race car driver to go to a funeral. I guess some pilots don't like to read about aviation accidents. I myself always gravitate to the particular thread to see what happened and if it was aircraft or pilot related. Then either learn something or get spooked about general aviation. Especially now that I have a baby boy in my life. Then wonder why the heck I have to be in love with something so dangerous?! LOL :) However if I get away from the accident scene and just poke around reading about flying in general I get excited and motivated again. Personally I think a forum just for accidents is a bit much. If we discuss an accident I think we have enough options on where to post it here on POA.

Just my 2 cents...

Back