Accident Statistics

O2 Birddog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
O2 Birddog
In reading up on insurance and accidents by cause and somehow this article came up. A worthy read I think especially for the aspiring student pilot like myself.

You'll notice that Takeoff, Approach, and landing make up over sixty percent of all accidents and the majority occur in VFR daytime conditions as well.

For what it's worth, don't be complacent, know your aircraft and it's limits, always, always, always do a thorough walk around and final preflight before hitting the "go button".

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/ne...ion-safety-trends-what-should-we-worry-about/

Pilots are warned a lot about stall/spin accidents when maneuvering for a landing and to take care during the dreaded base to final turn (dead pilot's curve). But surprisingly there are quite a few stall/spin accidents on take-off i.e. the departure stall.

Pilots shouldn't be surprised that so many accidents happen during the landing phase as that's where the large, solid, unmovable object, gets in the way of the airplane ...

The most in numbers is T/O and landing.

Highest percentage of fatal is maneuvering.

clearly, the safest thing to do in aviation is ONLY cruise flight! Just don’t do the other two….

It takes a moment for the significance of those statistics to soak in, but they ARE very telling.

Well, takeoffs are mandatory for flight, landings are normally mandatory, but cruise is optional, so just right there explains a great deal of the stats. Add in that students do far more takeoffs and landings than anything else and that explains a good deal more of it.

While some seem not to accept it these are the reasons 0-no time Student Pilots going for their first ticket are considered "High Risk".

Aside from the numbers I found it a very good read overall as they delve into things pretty thoroughly.

Back