Accelerated Sport Pilot Training

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Once I accumulate enough disposable income and once I am ready to continue sport pilot training again someday, I was thinking a little bit about finishing up my sport pilot flight training doing an accelerated sport pilot training course or asking my CFI (if he is still is going to be my CFI by the time I get back) to speed up my training.

Is accelerated flight training for everyone? Or do I need to have a special learning style like the need to be a quick learner? Are there pros and cons of doing accelerated flight training? I also heard that you might need to take a few weeks off from work; could most people afford to take a few weeks off from work just for accelerated flight training?

Only you know if accelerated flight training will work for you. How compressed it is is up to you. I've heard of two week programs, but you better be a quick learner and not get overwhelmed by learning all day, every day, for 14 days straight.

First, if you're looking at doing your Sport Pilot Training on an all-day, every-day basis until it's complete, it could be incredibly intense. Most of my instrument students say they were surprised by the level of intensity of such a program -- 8-9 hours a day, 10 days in a row, plus an hour or more of homework every night. If you do this on vacation, make sure you're off work for 2-4 days more than the course will take, because you'll probably need the extra days at the end to recover before going back to work or school.

Second, that which is quickly learned is as quickly forgotten unless as quickly exercised. In order to "fix" the newly/quickly learned material in your brain, you must fly a couple of times a week for four to six weeks starting immediately after the practical test. If you don't, within a month, you'll be as though you never took the course (well, not quite that bad, but you certainly won't be ready to launch solo on a real cross-country flight with a passenger somewhere you've never been before.

Third, you must be academically prepared. If your only ground training before the intensive completion course is one of those 2-day written test cram courses, you won't know anything but the answers to the written test, and you will not be able to finish the flight course as quickly as you might expect-- figure two to four days extra to learn all the material that would otherwise be learned in a real ground training course. I recommend any or all of the following, choice based on your own learning style (and whether or not you can sit still for Martha King):

• Formal ground school of 40 hours or so classroom plus home assignments (like those offered by many flight schools and community colleges)
• Self-paced computer based training course like Jeppesen's FliteSchool
• DVD course like King or others
• Book learning, using a good Sport Pilot training manual , not just a written or practical test guide.

In addition, you should study the following books:

• Current FAR/AIM (especially the ASA version with the list of recommended FAR's and AIM sections for Sport Pilot
• FAA AC 00-6A Aviation Weather
• FAA AC 00-45F Aviation Weather Products

Finally, you must dedicate yourself entirely to the program. Don't just turn off your Blackberry -- leave it in the office. Explain to your family that this isn't a vacation, this isn't even work -- they can't expect you to participate in anything other than your training for the duration. Forget about catching up on your reading (other than your training books) or email or internet chat. You will eat, sleep, and breathe flying for the duration of the course, and if you clutter your mind with, or spend your time on, anything else, it won't happen on schedule.

With this preparation, you will find an intensive completion program productive and useful. Without this preparation, you'll just end up tired and frustrated – and your instructor will, too, because s/he wants you to succeed just as much as you do.

I concur with what Ron says and especially endorse his comment that it is important to exercise and implement what you learned over a period of time right after you've completed the formal portion. That may mean you budget time and money for flights that implement the breadth of your instruction for the next couple of months.

You have to be ready for total immersion ,for an accelerated course. If there is any chance you may not have the time,or are going to have to break the time for even a few days. Go the standard course.

To test the idea that you are learning faster, simply read the FAR/AIM cover to cover and all government pilot handbooks. Take the written and see how you do. Give yourself a week. If you don't pass then consider how safe you'd be in the air with only a few days practice at the controls?

Just my experience:

When I did my PP-ASEL, I went for "compressed" training instead of accelerated- scheduled 2-4x a week, studied on nights off, had one weekend flight and one "free" day.

I didn't have to take much time off work (and that only because I work until 6PM most days), I had great retention, I wasn't flying so much that I got fried every night, and I still finished up in 6-8 weeks. Downside: NO social life until the checkride was finished.

A school I looked at has had accelerated SP/PP students finish in 2 weeks, but usually pairs of students have worked out better for them as flying 2x/day and a couple hours of study in between is about the edge of the cliff for diminishing returns.

YMMV.

You have to be ready for total immersion ,for an accelerated course.
It's not really "accelerated", since you still only accomplish one hour of training per hour. You just have a lot fewer hours between training sessions, and each training session is a lot longer. Hence, the term "intensive" is probably more accurate than "accelerated".

To test the idea that you are learning faster, simply read the FAR/AIM cover to cover and all government pilot handbooks. Take the written and see how you do.
That is hardly a test for whether one would do well in an intensive training program, only whether one is good at self-study, which is an entirely different thing.

Accelerated training can save a lot of money. I spent $14,400 in 2011 dollars to get my Private, a lot of which is attributable to protracted course. I am sure I could wrap it all in $9000 if I flew every other day, making same 1.5-2.0 flights.

However, I still have a concern. Even if Kevin realizes similar savings, what is he going to do after the checkride? LSA rentals are not cheaper than traditional GA rentals, at least in my experience.

After checkride, I bummed from rental to rental until I realized that I just do not have the money to maintain reasonable proficiency on 36 hours per year.

Back