Accelerated Refresher DA40 Recommendations

Etherscreen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Etherscreen
I learned to fly 9 years ago in a 172 and did a few hours with a G1000. After taking 9 years off from flying (3 kids and life) I am getting the itch to fly again. I guess my plan would be to get comfortable with flying again. I am thinking of trying to find a good accelerated program in a low wing, maybe DA40, and then move on to an instrument rating. My goal would be able to make IFR trips with a family of 5 but I know with these numbers that is well down the road.

Does anyone have any recs on great instructors/schools who can do the transition to the DA40 and send on my way to my goals. I feel like my PPL instructor was all about building hours and moving on to the airlines and there are voids in my training/comfort level while flying (not looking for the same experience).

What area you from? Just be aware that taking that with an instrument rating you really have to stay proficient not just legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned to fly 9 years ago in a 172 and did a few hours with a G1000. After taking 9 years off from flying (3 kids and life) I am getting the itch to fly again. I guess my plan would be to get comfortable with flying again. I am thinking of trying to find a good accelerated program in a low wing, maybe DA40, and then move on to an instrument rating. My goal would be able to make IFR trips with a family of 5 but I know with these numbers that is well down the road.

Does anyone have any recs on great instructors/schools who can do the transition to the DA40 and send on my way to my goals. I feel like my PPL instructor was all about building hours and moving on to the airlines and there are voids in my training/comfort level while flying (not looking for the same experience).
Welcome to POA.

You might want to put a location in your quest here, unless you're willing to travel anywhere to train.

Welcome to POA.

You might want to put a location in your quest here, unless you're willing to travel anywhere to train.
I live the in the KC area but I am willing to travel. If I am switching planes I would be basically starting over my flight training since it has been 9 years since I have flown. My issue wasn't with flying the pattern and landing.. I don't think I got very good training when going to other airports, communication etc. I did train at a controlled airfield and felt very comfortable there just not when I ventured out.

One important thing about flying the Diamond aircraft... Know your correct landing speeds and nail them every time...

Any additional speed and you'll be floating in ground effect FOR-EV-ER.

The airframe is very clean and come from Diamond's glider heritage. They prefer to fly versus land.

@Matthew -- Any suggestions for the OP?

I know that KCAC at Johnson Co Exec used to have Da40s for training but I just went to their website and it looks like they just shut down the school. My main issue is finding someone who is a good teacher.

I know that KCAC at Johnson Co Exec used to have Da40s for training but I just went to their website and it looks like they just shut down the school. My main issue is finding someone who is a good teacher.
KCAC flight school closed shop.

If you are looking for good CFIs, I know a few.

Back