Accelerated PPL Training

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
I have sort of a strange situation, that I am a little embarrassed to admit, but here it goes:

I started training for my PPL in 2010. Soloed, did everything up to my written and exam. Then I got super busy with work, like I'm sure most do, and had to put flying on hold. I have been flying on and off with friends over the past few years and now. Thinking that it would motivate me even more to get my ticket, I just recently bought a Cherokee 180D. Murphy's law, right after I bought it, I had to go out of town for 3 months for work.

I have been looking into accelerated flight training and I feel that is the way to go. I would probably need somewhat of a "refresher" course. Thinking I would need more ground school rather than air time. Currently have about 150 hrs (although I soloed in about 40). So do any of you recommend a specific accelerated training course? Would like to take it out of town (live in LA) so I have no distractions!

Also, let the bashing begin for not finishing up my PPL sooner!! :D

No one will bash you. Flying is a hobby--real life gets in the way.

I think this is something you need to talk personally about with instructors. Some instructors are willing to do accelerated training while others are not.

I was looking for a flight instructor last summer to finish up my PPL and basically said I want to get this done as soon as possible and he said I'd be happy to fly with you three days a week and BAM it happened. I think it's all in finding a willing instructor.

If the instructor at all hesitates, don't do it. Having an instructor that was smiling and willing to train with the same student so often took the awkwardness of the situation away and accelerated improvement.

dont feel bad bout stopping when life has its say. i started alot longer ago than you did , back in the mid 80's and had to stop due to money and just never got back around to it, till now sort of. i have to dig my butt out the the hole i got in before i can justify doing it, course its gonna be a career change for me not just a hobby but it still takes money and time.

I did my PPL with Tailwheels outta Lakeland, Florida and recommend them all the time. They have a full course but they also do finish ups.

I have learned that not all accelerated programs are created equal. Some are truly pilot mills, some are just as good if not better than traditional routes. Find a school and/or instructor that does specialize in an accelerated program...not just someone that says they can do it quickly. Just as it takes a certain student that can learn in that accelerated environment bit more importatnly it takes an instructor and program that specializes in accelerated for it to be successful.

I had to do the same thing. I can't schedule anything consistent like flying lessons with my line of work and travel so I just took two weeks off, went to the other side of the country and pounded it out. Only way it was going to get done and knowing what I know now...would have done that same exact thing over again.

In fact eventually did the PIC 10 day IFR course...again, only way it was gonna get done.

Last edited:
I have sort of a strange situation, that I am a little embarrassed to admit, but here it goes:

I started training for my PPL in 2010. Soloed, did everything up to my written and exam. Then I got super busy with work, like I'm sure most do, and had to put flying on hold. I have been flying on and off with friends over the past few years and now. Thinking that it would motivate me even more to get my ticket, I just recently bought a Cherokee 180D. Murphy's law, right after I bought it, I had to go out of town for 3 months for work.

I have been looking into accelerated flight training and I feel that is the way to go. I would probably need somewhat of a "refresher" course. Thinking I would need more ground school rather than air time. Currently have about 150 hrs (although I soloed in about 40). So do any of you recommend a specific accelerated training course? Would like to take it out of town (live in LA) so I have no distractions!

Also, let the bashing begin for not finishing up my PPL sooner!! :D

No bashing...life happens. That being said, research finish-up programs. Accelerated programs build skills faster and ultimately cost you less money. American Flyers has these programs, as well as other schools...many can be found via google search. With your plane, you'll save money, because your cost is basically fuel, oil and the instructor's hourly rate.

I do accelerated IFR training, 1 week - done, and it saves people a lot of money. Research some of these programs on the web, call them and tell them you'd like to do the training in your own plane. There is a good chance that you'll find someone that could help you get you PPL in as little as a week.

Hi. My recommendation for an "accelerated" program is at Sporty's Academy. I am going there in September (nice, cool wx) to finish my ATP training. I tried getting my training done in piecemeal fashion at a local flight school, but they had no idea how to conduct ATP training. I was in Cincinnati on business so I checked out Sporty's by taking a lesson and found that they were very professional, actually had an ATP syllabus, had an on-staff DPE, etc. Something just felt "right" about the place. Their prices are the same if not a little lower than at my local flight school. The only neg is that they are based at I69, an uncontrolled field -- I personally like flying out of controlled fields more / just a personal preference that I could "waive" when I go back in September.

Good luck with finishing your training. Congratulations on buying an airplane.

Congrats,on the airplane ,now go find a school that specializes in accelerated training,and get it done. Do it away from home to lower the interruptions.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. The only thing about using my plane to finish it up, is I'll have to fly it out of town. Seems like if I use my plane, it can only be an in town thing.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. The only thing about using my plane to finish it up, is I'll have to fly it out of town. Seems like if I use my plane, it can only be an in town thing.

I met a guy from up Boston way who bought a 182 and flew it down to Tailwheels in Florida to finish up his PPL he had a CFI ride shotgun for the trip south and once he was safely at Lakeland the CFI got a airline ride back home, once the student finished up his training a couple of weeks later one of the CFIs from Tailwheels took the ride back north with him and then also jumped on a regular flight back down to Florida, not only did the student get his PPL he gained some valuable x/c experience. It may work for you if your budget allows for a bit more expense involving the extra CFIs

Looking at all the hours you have already logged, I wonder whether you really need a flight school which offers accelerated PPL trainings or if it would be sufficient if you find a local CFI who is willing to work intensely for 1 - 2 weeks with you?

That's btw. how my wife and I got our tickets: 4 - 6 hours of flying each day for a bit more than two weeks and barely over the 40h minimum. 'Normal' flight school, they however assigned 'personal' CFIs to each of us.

You don't say whether you have taken, and passed, the written. If not and if you are into "self-study" I suggest you pick up a copy of the knowledge test book and reference books and work through that part. Should cut down on time spent with an instructor on ground school and cost would be minimal. After that's done, find a local CFI willing to fly in your plane at your schedule. He/she could also sign you off for the written after a quiz session. You've spent enough on flying already -- just trying to keep your cost down now. If you're not into self-study, there are plenty ways to get that part done.

Accelerated programs are just marketing terms.

Anyone can do it, it's just a meter of scheduling and how much time both you can you're instructor can put in and how much, or little, it takes for the student to become saturated and, of course, weather and aircraft issues.

I've been researching, and I am kinda leaning towards Sporty's. They have a "finish up" program which seems to be up my alley.

I did my PP in 2008 with Sporty's at I69. Completed in 6 weeks/60 hrs. A little more expensive but professional, dependable instructors and well-maintained aircraft. You get what you pay for. When you finish there, you are well prepared for most of our typical flying challenges. Have fun.

No bashing. My break from flying was longer than that and I finally got going again.

I would suggest that you get one of the video courses, King works good for me once I get by the corny presentations, and focus on putting the written behind you. Then find an instructor and fly every chance you get for as much as he'll fly with you.

If you were far enough along to have done everything but the written before your break, I don't think it will be too big of a deal. Remember all those particular things you did like long cross country, night flight, controlled airport , etc. are still good as long as you still have your logbook. I think a good instructor can get you to the checkride pretty quick once you have the written behind you so you don't have to worry about it. Having your own plane helps a lot to enable you to fly whenever you can get the instructor to go up.

I would have gotten back to checkride level pretty quick even though my break was 20 years, if I hadn't have decided to start over in a taildragger. The 180 will be an easy plane in which to get back your edge.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Back