SbestCFII

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFII Scott - The IFR Coach
OBXFLIGHT, LLC is scheduling accelerated instrument programs for Fall 2017. 7-Day IFR Programs for only $4800 in our Warrior or $3000 in pilot-supplied aircraft. Program averages 27-33 hours for flight training (in aircraft, not a simulator), all ground instruction required for the check-ride, and any remedial instruction (if required). The prices above are all inclusive, with the exception of the examiners fee ($450.00) which must be paid directly to the examiner by the pilot-training.

Our Warrior has the Garmin GNS-430W, ADS-B In and Out, coupled single-axis autopilot and new this year, the Garmin G5 primary flight display (mini-glass PFD) as well as the full complement of conventional flight instruments.

upload_2017-4-23_21-31-34.png

Currently scheduling October, November and December. 2017 rates will also be honored for anyone interested in scheduling for January before years-end. Train with Scott Best, CFI-A/I, who has been providing instrument training programs since 2010.

Visit our site: www.obxflight.com, our Blog obxflight.blogspot.com and look us up on Facebook.

Several local hotels offer reasonable rates for our IFR pilots-in-training.

Contact Us: sbestcfii@aol.com obxflight@aol.com
(919) 270-0933 (919) 594-3119

Watch a video from one of my 2016 students:

Wow. I just may do this...not to look a gift horse in the mouth but it seems like you're including your warrior for cheaper than if I used my own: if I understood, 30 hours for $1800 wet? Just wow.

Wow. I just may do this...not to look a gift horse in the mouth but it seems like you're including your warrior for cheaper than if I used my own: 30 hours for $1800 wet? Just wow.

More like the instruction rate is higher on your own plane, which is pretty normal (if you ignore all the other things, it would be $100/hr instruction rate in your own plane, which is a lot).
It's a very good deal, if you need 30 hours to pass. It's very expensive if you do it in 15.

It is a great deal and Scott is a hell of an instructor. I just got my IFR with him end of last year. It worked well for me to go away and just focus heads down and finish it up.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

4-5 hours a day x 7 days training in the plane + ground inst isn't for everybody.

4-5 hours a day x 7 days training in the plane + ground inst isn't for everybody.
Agreed... You need to be well prepared for it feeling like this:

de0b19ab7f4623b0d66746d30ca5bc95_fire-hose-drinking-and-fire-drinking-from-a-fire-hose-clipart_185-220.jpeg

Also, I'd suggest scheduling additional days in case of weather and overworked brain matter. When I did the PIC IFR course, we had 2 weather days that cramped the schedule badly. And I wish at the end we had planned for an additional day to have a small break in the action.

True, but having said that, I would do some sort of accelerated course for instrument and get it done. I found out getting a rating flying just a few hours a week when I did my private just isn't the way to go for me. I did a 2 week accelerated course many years ago. I hope to do a full 5 day immersion with Scott for my IPC soon since I haven't flown instruments for several years.

True, but having said that, I would do some sort of accelerated course for instrument and get it done. I found out getting a rating flying just a few hours a week when I did my private just isn't the way to go for me. I did a 2 week accelerated course many years ago. I hope to do a full 5 day immersion with Scott for my IPC soon since I haven't flown instruments for several years.

Different people have different rates of learning and different levels of retention from accelerated coures. Many find themselves with a local CFI for additional training after an accelerated course.

Different people have different rates of learning and different levels of retention from accelerated coures. Many find themselves with a local CFI for additional training after an accelerated course.

And your official source of this info would be...? :)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying some don't, but that's a pretty nebulous statement.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying some don't, but that's a pretty nebulous statement.
The endorsements in my log book over the last 30 years from accelerated inst graduates. A lot of the stuff quickly learned is quickly forgotten. That is not meant to impune your product.

Last edited:

It's a fair observation..... I was one... I didn't obtain my rating when I trained with PIC.... We ran out of time, had difficulties finding a DPE on short notice, and I felt I wasn't ready. Not the PIC instructor's fault... just me not being 100% confident of a first time pass.

So I did do additional work with a "non-accelerated" instructor after the accelerated class.

Great price.

I took an accelerated course for my IFR because I know too many pilots that never completed their training. They'd get part way through, something would come up so they have to stop, and they would repeat the cycle a few times. In each case they spent way more than I did and never got their IFR.

I used a weeks vacation and had a great time. When else do you get to spend a full week flying every day and doing nothing but focusing on improving your pilot skills? By training every day there is no relearning what you forgot from the last lesson so you improve very quickly. Based on my experience if you're thinking of getting your ticket this sounds like a great offer.

Gary

Great price.

I took an accelerated course for my IFR because I know too many pilots that never completed their training. They'd get part way through, something would come up so they have to stop, and they would repeat the cycle a few times. In each case they spent way more than I did and never got their IFR.

Exactly why I did an accelerated course too. Took me 23 years to get my private because of what you said there. Within a year of getting the private I did a 2 week accelerated course and got my instrument rating.

I was hoping to finish with Scott. A flying friend finished his Instrument with Scott and had all positive things to say. I think he ended up with 15 hours of actual which is better than the zero many finish with.

yI did my Instrument Training with Scott and wouldn't have wanted to do it any other way. I had more actual IMC the week flying with him than many people I know do in 10 years of flying, its nice to know the instructor teaching you is someone that stays current in actual IMC conditions and willing to train in it. Too many people get the Instrument ticket having never seen actual conditions and never have a true comfort level with using it so it ends up becoming somewhat of a merit badge as if they were in Boy Scouts. That's totally ok if that's the reason you want it but if your desire is to go places then you want to be taught by someone that isn't afraid to get you out in the soup and teach you how to calmly work a situation and get you home safety. Scott was that right guy for me so I am very thankful for him and consider him and Lisa dear friends. The week I spent with him we got very lucky and had low ceilings almost everyday that gave me the opportunity to experience actual missed approaches that week and we one day we could make it into our home airport KJNX after two failed attempts do to weather and had to fly to our filed alternate RDU and get picked up by Scotts wife and return to get the plane the next day.

I figured I would post a video on my Night IMC approach into RDU after we couldn't get into KJNX, long day of flying that unexpectedly and unpredectedly turned into night but learned so much, would I want to do it again or on a regular basis in a single engine at night over a populated area - ummm maybe not but having an instructor that was willing to teach me and put me in that scenario and give me the confidence to know I can do it I have to. TAFS,and other forecasts are great tools but there is substitute for when all goes wrong and the weather changes having the experience to deal with it. If you see my other videos I have many other videos of my week with Scott.

You might want to skip to about 2 minutes in , the first 2 mins are us just flying in complete darkness in the rain in the clouds over the little unlit town of Raleigh/Durham - during Taxi you will see how big of an airport is it and just how socked in the place was

Last edited:
...You might want to skip to about 2 minuts in , the fist 2 mins are us just flying in complete darkness in the rain in the clouds over the little unlit town of Raleigh/Durham - during Taxi you will see how big of an airport is it and just how socked in the place was

hhmmm, might have to show u how to EDIT videos lol. that landing was awesome, the other 10 minutes of that 11 minute video, without audio, I could do without.

hhmmm, might have to show u how to EDIT videos lol. that landing was awesome, the other 10 minutes of that 11 minute video, without audio, I could do without.

100 % agree, I worked on trying to edit it for quite some time but for some reason I struggled with the with the go pro software and gave up - sorry :(

100 % agree, I worked on trying to edit it for quite some time but for some reason I struggled with the with the go pro software and gave up - sorry :(

I edited it for you. if you PM me an email address I can send it to u.

sweet landing. That airport popped up out of nowhere!

A lot of the stuff quickly learned is quickly forgotten.
I don't buy that statement. It's not even held out by the FAA in their rather ludicrous ideas of educational theory.

Besides the "rate" of learning isn't really much different in the accelerated class, just the fact that the dead time is compressed out of the training.

Edited down and FIXED !!! thanks to eman1200 for doing something in 5 minutes that I could do in many hours

Back