Accelerated ifr

Too many nasty personal attacks on his way of providing answers to posters,

RL has a penchant for believing his answer is the only correct answer and would become unhinged when someone would provide an alternate or challenged his perceived authority.

Another trait of his was the way he would cherry pick regulations to attempt to twist them into what he wanted them to say. He was pretty good at the Part 61 stuff, but once he ventured away from that he would start wandering way off course.

That and his constant name dropping and trying to convince people he was the ultimate FAA "insider".

and lack of support by the forum administrators.

Bob

I'll call BS on that one. Again, RL wanted anyone silenced that didn't tow his line.

Too many nasty personal attacks on his way of providing answers to posters, and lack of support by the forum administrators.

Bob

Sounds very similar to Bruce. Not to defend the attackers, but I think these guys:

1. Take things too personally.
2. Need thicker skin.

RL has a penchant for believing his answer is the only correct answer and would become unhinged when someone would provide an alternate or challenged his perceived authority.

Another trait of his was the way he would cherry pick regulations to attempt to twist them into what he wanted them to say. He was pretty good at the Part 61 stuff, but once he ventured away from that he would start wandering way off course.

That and his constant name dropping and trying to convince people he was the ultimate FAA "insider".

I'll call BS on that one. Again, RL wanted anyone silenced that didn't tow his line.

I think the reason he left was not the personal attacks, to which he had developed a fairly thick skin, but the lack of support by the admins for removing certain materials from the site he found over the line (and not directed at him).
From an observer's POV, both your contributions and his have added a lot to my knowledge and I found both inputs, albeit contradictory at times, very useful. I would love to have both of them available again, hopefully with less animosity.

Too many nasty personal attacks on his way of providing answers to posters, and lack of support by the forum administrators.

Sounds more lopsided than it was.

He really didn't have to take the attitude that he was always right on everything and reference mystery FAA friends constantly as references.

(Hell I learned and researched more about internal FAA bureaucracy just by reading about what the hell "AFS" is, just because he referenced it so often. Hahahaha.)

But some folks here really did take him to task for it.

Most of us just respected his opinion without him having to play like it was the only possible one out there. He had some weird need todo that at times. The "CFI" after his name was plenty for me.

He brought about some of his own misery, I thought. Just my personal opinion.

I personally also wouldn't have any misguided expectations of those running the site as personal defenders if I were creating my own trouble like that.

It's populist lately to leave this place in a huff to garner the most possible needless drama or make up stuff about how lovely everything was just a little way in the past, where it was all unicorns farting rainbows. Haha. ;)

The other problem with message board answers is that it's rare anyone thanks anyone for their input. I probably never told him I liked a lot of his stuff because I felt no need. Just read it and nod and keep scrolling. That's kinda how message boards work.

So hey, while I've got the chance... I really like a lot of your posts too! Probably scrolled past a hundred of them nodding along silently...

Bob

I can't comment on why Ron chose to leave but I can say the above reason wasn't it.

Its the best way but usually you have to relocate and pay for housing and restuarants also.
Get the written test and 2 hours with a CFII and 10 or so hours of hood time with a safety pilot out of the way first. Then it wont be a rush (although call and ask THEM about this).

Its the best way but usually you have to relocate and pay for housing and restuarants also.

Get the written test and 2 hours with a CFII and 10 or so hours of hood time with a safety pilot out of the way first. Then it wont be a rush (although call and ask THEM about this).

If you go see Jesse...

ValuePlace is cheap on a weekly rate as a low end crash pad and a short drive from LNK. You'll only see it for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night (or opposite if you fly at night) anyway, because you'll pass out. Has a kitchenette and the usual interesting folk that stay long term in such places. Hahaha. Grab some snacks and drinks at the grocery store and shove them in the fridge at the beginning of the week and you're all set. Got a microwave, a fridge, a stove, and a bed. All you need.

Jesse is going to meet you at McDonalds for breakfast or the bar for burgers for lunch or dinner that's on the airport entrance road because it's convenient most of the week. Hahaha. And you must augment all training with coffee and a Big Texas Cinnamon roll from the airport vending machine because it's tradition. Hahahah.

You'll pretty much want to sit on the comfy couch at the airport or somewhere around town and study or whatever anytime he's busy. And if you walk into a room with a bed (see ValuePlace above) you'll be asleep before you know it. LOL. Don't go back there after say, Wednesday, until you're ready to crash for the day, because you will.

Jesses a nice taskmaster. He will let you sleep in for two extra hours long about Thursday if you're keeping up on the expected tasks. ;)

The rental car from Silverhawk is also pretty cheap. Think they're from Enterprise, I forget. They usually have three or four parked our front and the FBO handles the rental paperwork. Just make sure to let them know in advance to have one available.

They're awesome about fueling. I swear once in a while we had to beat them back with a stick when we taxiied in and knew we had four more hours of gas on board. Very efficient folks. Also very nice.

If you can afford it, then do it. I busted my ride after flying off (mostly!) and on for almost a year and half. When I redo it; I'd be going to an accelerated program.

How good is American Flyers in Santa Monica, CA for accelerated IFR? I don't want to travel far to get it done.

Bob

That's nowhere near the truth as to why he left.

Back