accelerated IFR programs: when do you fly?

classicrock

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
acousticguitar
I am currently a VFR student pilot about 85% of the way toward check ride

to those pilots who have actually done an accelerated IFR Program:
as I understand, these programs will teach you to fly in marginal weather and/0r at night. yet you can't control the weather, so are most people doing the instruction(flying part) at night?

additionally how many of those pilots in this forum, completed 10+ Crosscountry flights(I picked that number, no particular reason) before starting the accelerated program?

Silly questions I'm afraid. There are way too many variable's involved such as CFII/student availability, weather, etc. Why you even ask about XCs when all you need to start is a PPC. There are XC requirements for an instrument rating during your training though. You can google that **** or look it up in FAR Part 61 (heaven forbid!). It's all there.

Last edited:
The training is done under the hood. VFR night flight and marginal VFR are still both VFR flights that can be flown as a non-instrument rated pilot. I only got about .3 actual instrument during my instrument training.

I completed over 100 hours of cross-country flights before my instrument training started. I did a semi-accelerated course for my IFR rating but it was after I had been flying for 7 years.

It is an enjoyable exercise and great success to accomplish. Getting IFR rated immediately after your private is a rough learning curve and I'd suggest learning to fly VFR a bit more before you throw all that on.

Silly questions I'm afraid. There are way too many variable's involved such as CFII/student availability, weather, etc. Why you even ask about XCs when all you need to start is a PPC. There are XC requirements for an instrument rating during your training though. You can google that **** or look it up in FAR Part 61 (heaven forbid!). It's all there.

wow: given the choice between not posting OR going out of your way to post a reply and ridicule a question. that's just rude

The training is done under the hood. VFR night flight and marginal VFR are still both VFR flights that can be flown as a non-instrument rated pilot. I only got about .3 actual instrument during my instrument training.

I completed over 100 hours of cross-country flights before my instrument training started. I did a semi-accelerated course for my IFR rating but it was after I had been flying for 7 years.

It is an enjoyable exercise and great success to accomplish. Getting IFR rated immediately after your private is a rough learning curve and I'd suggest learning to fly VFR a bit more before you throw all that on.

are you saying its all in a simulator OR wearing a Hood/restricted lenses in the cockpit in flight?

wow: given the choice between not posting OR going out of your way to post a reply and ridicule a question. that's just rude

Well you asked! I answered you. And then you continue to ask questions like above (#5) when it's all in the FAR Part 61. My post above had the answers you asked about. You say you're 85% thru your training, PPC I assume. All the requirements are, again, in Part 61 which you should already be familiar with as a student pilot. Turn the page and you'll find instrument rating requirements. Why are you resistant to that? I'm a CFII btw and I would insure you knew Part 61.

Last edited:
Using a view limiting device. Only 15 hours total of your instrument training may be in an approved flight training device (a.k.a. simulator). The rest must be in an airplane (assuming fixed wing IR) with either a view limiting device or actual IMC. In actual the safety pilot (if its not an instructor) must be IR and act as PIC. Day/night doesn't matter.

John

are you saying its all in a simulator OR wearing a Hood/restricted lenses in the cockpit in flight?
View limiting device like you use for your PPL. Or a sim if that is available. You can get actual IFR during your training while with an instructor if you are lucky. There are night cross country requirements as well and it is spelled out in the FARs.

Using a view limiting device. Only 15 hours total of your instrument training may be in an approved flight training device (a.k.a. simulator). The rest must be in an airplane (assuming fixed wing IR) with either a view limiting device or actual IMC. In actual the safety pilot (if its not an instructor) must be IR and act as PIC. Day/night doesn't matter.

John

Joshuajayg, JSSstevens

I appreciate that.I had searched through previous threads but your replies clarified a lot. thanks

Joshuajayg, JSSstevens

I appreciate that.I had searched through previous threads but your replies clarified a lot. thanks
No problem. Feel free to ask other questions if you have them. Search the FARs first and if you need help interpreting them, maybe we can clarify them.

I did a 10 day course at American flyers in Addison. Part 141 the 50 hr pic xc is not required either though I had that anyway.

First day or two was academics in the morning and sim in the afternoon. Then switched to 4 hours morning class and 4 hours flying in the afternoon. If vfr conditions I was under the hood. We went imc as much as we could. I got 6 hours actual within my 10 days. We did night time twice which just happened due to scheduling and I was under the hood anyway so night or day didn't make a difference.

10 days was very fast and the roughest 10 days of my life. But I made it through and passed the check ride. Had I not done the 10 day thing I'd likely still not be finished due to work and scheduling. I do recommend going away from home to do it. That's what I did so I had no distractions from home life. Also once finished go ifr as much as possible and even with a local instructor just to drive it all home and have fun with it.

Last edited:
I did a 10 day course at American flyersoldiers in Addison. Part 141 the 50 hr pic xc is not required either though I had that anyway.

First day or two was academics in the morning and sim in the afternoon. Then switched to 4 hours morning class and 4 hours flying in the afternoon. If vfr conditions I was under the hood. We went imc as much as we could. I got 6 hours actual within my 10 days. We did night time twice which just happened due to scheduling and I was under the hood anyway so night or day didn't make a difference.

10 days was very fast and the roughest 10 days of my life. But I made it through and passed the check ride. Had I not done the 10 day thing I'd likely still not be finished due to work and scheduling. I do recommend going away from home to do it. That's what I did so I had no distractions from home life. Also once finished go ifr as much as possible and even with a local instructor just to drive it all home and have fun with it.
Do you suggest doing a bit of home study first just to not have to cram as much?

Do you suggest doing a bit of home study first just to not have to cram as much?
For the accelerated courses, the general consensus is to have the written exam done before you begin the flight training. Home study is one way of completing that requirement.

I have mixed feelings about accelerated courses, especially for an instrument rating. Just my opinion. A lot of material to cover and fly. I give my students actual IMC if it's there. I've heard good things about PIC though but you definitely want to do your book work and get the written done before enrolling.

I used then for my commercial to great success. I did home study for my instrument rating but I was part 61 training, not 141. Figured it was worth asking as a general question for the OP.

I highly recommend Sheppardair as well. I wonder how they are handling the ACS questions.

Im using sheppardair right now for my commercial as well. Though im being rather lazy with it. sigh...

Im using sheppardair right now for my commercial as well. Though im being rather lazy with it. sigh...
Here's how I studied for my commercial...
0e9d6f8999b5b131aa32e7c8eea68bb0.jpg

You work on the sims at Columbus then I assume. I was a controller there in the late 70s. Another controller who retired in Columbus told me my old boss was working as a sim tech. Dave Guild, know him?

You work on the sims at Columbus then I assume. I was a controller there in the late 70s. Another controller who retired in Columbus told me my old boss was working as a sim tech. Dave Guild, know him?

Dave Guilds!!!!!!!!!! Yes I know him well. he is retired now as of last October. And yes I work on the T-6 sims. C'mon over and Ill take you to the sims!

The other controller your talking about...Fred Sumner??

I used to fly the T38 sims all the time when a few controllers had part time gigs then. Al Bordelon is the guy who told me about Dave. Dave was great and funny as hell. He was my first Watch Supervisor in the tower.

I used to fly the T38 sims all the time when a few controllers had part time gigs then. Al Bordelon is the guy who told me about Dave. Dave was great and funny as hell. He was my first Watch Supervisor in the tower.

The sims have changed a lot lately! Truly amazing how real they look. Yeah Dave was a character for sure and always had us laughing! I see him around town every now and then.

Don't know Al.

I remember one time a F-100 landed and sparks were flying under the tail. A IP in the RSU called us and said that plane is on fire. Old Dave laughed and told him, no sir, that's an F-100 and they do that all the time. That's why they have a tail skid there.

A total of 10 cross country flights? You're joking. You're not ready.

I had years of flying cross country and hundreds of hours and flights before starting the accelerated course. If you can't fly YOUR PLANE with facility, you're wasting your time on instrument training with PIC or GATTS or anybody else. You're paying an instructor to teach you how to fly things OTHER than instruments which you can most likely do more effectively with a little self study and a lot of self practice.

The sims have changed a lot lately! Truly amazing how real they look. Yeah Dave was a character for sure and always had us laughing! I see him around town every now and then.

Don't know Al.

Al was another controller when I was there, another good guy. I was at a regional and retired 3 years ago so I know what you mean about the sims changing. Amazing they can basically fully train you in a sim and when you first fly the actual plane out on the line everything is close to being the same. Except landings, the sim never seemed to duplicate them. But I used to enjoy flying the T38 sim and rolling after lift off, and flying thru hangars and buildings, at least back then in the late 70s.

My advice: focus on your private right now and don't worry about the IR yet. There will be time for that later.

Knowing what I know today, I will never do another training through a regular flight training but always accelerated. :cool: Do your homework (find a CFII who offers the accelerated IFR training and what his / her requirements are to start the training) and have fun. You should also be honest to yourself. Accelerated flight training is very intense and not for everyone.

My husband passed his IFR check ride with 11 hours actual IMC! Flying in IMC is different than flying under the hood. I flew in IMC with Scott Best / OBX Flight during my husband's training for approximately one hour and learnt more in that time than during the training I took prior to my IFR check ride. I had less than 1 hour IMC time before my check ride...:rolleyes:

Knowing what I know today, I will never do another training through a regular flight training but always accelerated. :cool: Do your homework (find a CFII who offers the accelerated IFR training and what his / her requirements are to start the training) and have fun. You should also be honest to yourself. Accelerated flight training is very intense and not for everyone.

My husband passed his IFR check ride with 11 hours actual IMC! Flying in IMC is different than flying under the hood. I flew in IMC with Scott Best / OBX Flight during my husband's training for approximately one hour and learnt more in that time than during the training I took prior to my IFR check ride. I had less than 1 hour IMC time before my check ride...:rolleyes:
Definitely agree that actual is much different than simulated.

The day after my commercial check ride I flew my first instrument approach solo through actual in an unfamiliar airplane. It steps up the game a lot when there is no way to actually see where you are.

Back