Accelerated Commercial Rating

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Any feedback on accelerated commercial rating programs?

I see there is Gatts 3 day and Sun State 5-7 days.

Bumping this, I'm interested in this too. The only complex plane around here for rent, require 25 hours before solo flight, and at $210/hour plus another $40 for the instructor, it's looking cheaper to do an accelerated course.

Last edited:
Bumping this, I'm interested in this too. The only complex plane around here for rent, require 25 hours before solo flight, and at $250/hour plus another $40 for the instructor, it's looking cheaper to do an accelerated course.

For one 250 is a little expensive, even for a twin with a CFI.

Two, why do you need to rent the complex solo?

It's a Bonanza

I'm assuming I would be need to be pic for the checkride, in the Bonanza.

I was wrong in the price, the plane is $210 an hour.

Most places who rent, have a DPE they use, who will come out for the checkride, it's not really something they consider "solo" even though you're not paying for a CFI during the checkride.

BTW depending on where you live, anything much over 150hr for a complex is steep, unless that $210 was with instructor included.

http://whitewateraviation.com/index.php/rate-structure/

These guys have a complex PA24 for $139

Comanche.jpg

Last edited:
Does CPL provide any break on insurance premiums like IFR does?

No, owner hull and liability

@AggieMike88 All I've heard about Commercial reducing insurance has been anecdotal. There's those who swear it's true, and some with same the same total hours and time in make/model swear they got a comparable rate without the CPL.

If I move on to the CPL it won't be to save on insurance. (who's got the spreadsheet on the ROI of getting a CPL to 'save on insurance'?)

Same with me about the motivation. It would be to Improve skills and knowledge. And continue forward movement to CFI. But if there is a modest reduction, it would be a nice perk

There was no reduction in insurance after I got my CPL, but I'm sure that's related to the club insurance and 13 of 15 pilots holding PPLs. For what it's worth, I got my CPL with no intentions of ever using it (just a necessary step to get to CFI), but then the local FBO talked me into getting my second class medical so I could help them ferry planes to/from inspections as needed. The first flight fell through (but I got a free checkout in a 172 w/ G1000) and I'm still waiting to hear about another opportunity. If the second class medical expense isn't paid for over the next year, I'll just let it revert to a third class and continue with my initial impression that I won't make money from the CPL, but needed to get it for the CFI.

Back