Accelerated CFI initial

Darrell111

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Darrell111
What are you thoughts on these 9-14 day long accelerated CFI initial training programs. I was thinking of taking some vacation time to knock this thing out. Any suggestions on places that you might have attended or know someone who attended? I would prefer it be a classroom environment with other students there.

Darrell111 said:
What are you thoughts on these 9-14 day long accelerated CFI initial training programs. I was thinking of taking some vacation time to knock this thing out. Any suggestions on places that you might have attended or know someone who attended? I would prefer it be a classroom environment with other students there.
There is no free lunch

Like anything I would imagine that if you really want to get through it you will need to be well prepared. Then in the program you will be putting in long hours. The trick will be retention and that will take work after words to ensure you really are doing things right.

smigaldi said:
There is no free lunch

Like anything I would imagine that if you really want to get through it you will need to be well prepared. Then in the program you will be putting in long hours. The trick will be retention and that will take work after words to ensure you really are doing things right.

That is understandable.. its just fun to be in a classroom environment with other students where you feed off of each other. To me even though it would be at a faster pace i feel that in that environment i would learn more then just taking it week by week. BTW i should have been done with this a long time ago but money kinda ran out you know. I want my CFI done before i move to boston in 3 months. More time to party then hahah

Classroom. Ugh. It will be a cold day in hell before I sit in a classroom as a student again. Feed off each other? No way. More like get the hell away from me you inbred mongrel, you're slowing me down.

Darrell111 said:
That is understandable.. its just fun to be in a classroom environment with other students where you feed off of each other. To me even though it would be at a faster pace i feel that in that environment i would learn more then just taking it week by week. BTW i should have been done with this a long time ago but money kinda ran out you know. I want my CFI done before i move to boston in 3 months. More time to party then hahah

Don't get me wrong I am not talking against doing this. I am just saying don't walk in and expect to be spoon feed. These types of setting do take work. Your goal should not be to get a CFI rating but to be a good or great CFI. The rating is just a step in that direction to obtain your final goal. Just like when you did your PPL, the goal was not to pass the checkride but to be a good pilot.

I have been in these fast turn around settings before. I tend to want to over achieve a little and will go in well preped. I find it very annoying when there are others that have not done the same. Those people will usually fail anyways as the fast pace requires a level of understanding that would exceed the 'do at your own pace' crowd. Not that there is anything worng with doing that at your own pace. I did that for my commercial and it took me over a year to finish it. But the fast paced imersion programs offer challenages that are best left to those that are entering with their eyes open.

One of our pilot services clients recently got his CFI at one of the accelerated programs...everyday, from the time he got up at 0600 til he went to bed at 2200 he was studying. The only exception was when he went flying twice a day. Sounded like most of the studying was individual, with someone available for him to ask questions of, as well as to quiz him in preparation for his oral. I don't know if there were other CFI applicants there at the same time.

He indicated that flying the maneuvers twice a day, every day, really improved his understanding and ability.

He also was required to land on the runway that had the most crosswind every time, and said he got very comfortable with crosswinds. But then, he botched 'em both in the King Air, so... ;)

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
One of our pilot services clients recently got his CFI at one of the accelerated programs...everyday, from the time he got up at 0600 til he went to bed at 2200 he was studying. The only exception was when he went flying twice a day. Sounded like most of the studying was individual, with someone available for him to ask questions of, as well as to quiz him in preparation for his oral. I don't know if there were other CFI applicants there at the same time.

He indicated that flying the maneuvers twice a day, every day, really improved his understanding and ability.

He also was required to land on the runway that had the most crosswind every time, and said he got very comfortable with crosswinds. But then, he botched 'em both in the King Air, so... ;)

Fly safe!

David

Do you know what school this was? I know american flyers does it but its a 30 day course.

P.S. I study everyday, i have been for months so i have most the ground work and studying down. :)

I just did that very thing in February. Course was 9 days and as others have said they were loooong days. Three straight 8 hour days of classroom and the remainder were classroom combined with flying 3-4 hours a day. By the time I got back to the room at night I was whipped, but still had to study until around midnight, then up at 6 to do it again. I guess it worked out well for me, I passed the FSDO ride first try, actually it was easier than my instrument ride, just a much longer day.
Don
CFI--40 hours dual and counting

Don Jones said:
I just did that very thing in February. Course was 9 days and as others have said they were loooong days. Three straight 8 hour days of classroom and the remainder were classroom combined with flying 3-4 hours a day. By the time I got back to the room at night I was whipped, but still had to study until around midnight, then up at 6 to do it again. I guess it worked out well for me, I passed the FSDO ride first try, actually it was easier than my instrument ride, just a much longer day.
Don
CFI--40 hours dual and counting

What is the name of the school? Sounds like what i was looking for.

Thanks
Darrell

Darrell111 said:
Do you know what school this was? I know american flyers does it but its a 30 day course.

P.S. I study everyday, i have been for months so i have most the ground work and studying down. :)

American Flyers.........nevermind
SunState Aviation Flight School At ISM has a 14 day course for around 5K
I have no personal experience with them, however, I know two CFII's that claim they are the best thing since sliced bread. I take this kind of opinion with a grain of salt. was it the school or the instructor(s) that was so exemplary.

You will probably need to have the written(s) out of the way before arriving
Good luck!

Oh, by the way Darrell, I called several of the larger well known schools and all of them only did the CFI initial course in a multi. That is one of the reasons I ended up at MN Aviation, that and none of the others would give me any idea of how much. The whole multi thing sounds rediculous to me but whatever.
Don

Don Jones said:
Oh, by the way Darrell, I called several of the larger well known schools and all of them only did the CFI initial course in a multi. That is one of the reasons I ended up at MN Aviation, that and none of the others would give me any idea of how much. The whole multi thing sounds rediculous to me but whatever.
Don

Yea i looked at ATP and its about 6k for the Multi, single and cfii package together which sounds good but.. i still need to research it a bit more.

Darrell111 said:
Yea i looked at ATP and its about 6k for the Multi, single and cfii package together which sounds good but.. i still need to research it a bit more.

All ATPs is an excellent "quickly practice to polish existing skills and then take the checkride" school, however, I would not recommend All ATPs at all as a training institution. IOW, I would strongly recommend that you get your intitial CFI elsewhere. Later, if you need a quick spot to add the CFI-IA and/or MEI without the need to learn anything new then All ATPs will be an excellent choice.

--graduate of three All ATPs courses

Back