AC-130

Yup, if you want to put lead on heads, the AC-130 is an excellent choice.

...hearts and minds.

Oh wait that's another topic, [insert shouts of "Merica" as one pounds a stud light and burns a stack of tax payer dollars]

When I lived in Ft Walton Beach my house was close to Hurlburt AFB where these things are based. You could here them firing out on the range and it was amazing. I think a projectile hits every square foot or yard in an area of a football field. If you're down there you're dead. And they joke when that 105mm goes off it becomes the only plane to fly sideways from the recoil. They basically fly turns around a point and fire away as all the guns are on the port side. Amazing attack plane.

Last edited:
Used to fly top cover for the "Dragons".
Amazing to watch them in action.

I'm sure they change callsigns, but the ones I worked with in theater were "Spooky" or "Hammer" depending on the model of airplane being flown.

I think "Dragon" was the call sign for the AC-47 in Vietnam. That's what Shepherd is referring to I believe,

Yeah, "Spooky" these days. Landed at an Afghan Army post a few hours after an AC-130 lit them up in a Blue on Green. Place was a mess.:(

Last edited:
I heard that when they fire the biggest gun on board, some of the recoil moves the plane laterally. Is that accurate?

Not for use in "high threat" areas, as in, stay away from targets defended with radar guided guns and other sophisticated air defenses. I did see some carnage, up fairly close, from a gunship mission. Hard to discern the resulting gore as human remains.

Back