Absolutely sucks loosing a fur baby

Thursday, December 15, 2022

Sadly Mary and I had to say goodbye to our baby girl, Ziva Diva. Ziva was 9.5 and was stricken with degenerative myopathy the canine version of ALS in humans.

Thanks to our friends Lisa and Greg who provided her Magna wave treatment’s that gave her relief for three weeks. Unfortunately this disease has no cure and can advanced rapidly as it did with our girl.

We were overwhelmed with the staff at VCA Vet clinic. The techs that had always made a fuss over our girl all came in and sat with us and Z. One of the techs got a call that we were bringing Z in and came to join us on her day off.

Ziva was finally allowed some Hersey kisses and after playing with the first one determined they did taste good and ate at least three or four. When all the techs gathered Z wagged her tail for the first time today, she was happy.

We will miss her, and the house immediately felt empty when we came home with no happy face and tail wagging to great us. Tomorrow will be another day of firsts. I’ll miss that wet nose poking under the covers to let me know it’s time to get her breakfast ready. Rest easy princess, we love you.

So sorry for your loss. She looks like a great friend!

Oh man, so sorry. May memories of the good times being comfort. Easier said than done, I know.

I haven't been able to make it through the entire thread without my allergies acting up....:(

Thanks for the thought. Her back legs are weak and she can't walk while wearing a diaper.
Like cleaning up after a baby — dog can’t help it. It’s a part of life.

I have one slowing down now. I just spent the last hour prepping pill pockets and earlier today adding more runner rugs to the house.
When he goes, I am going to be a mess. We don't deserve dogs.

I have one slowing down now. I just spent the last hour prepping pill pockets and earlier today adding more runner rugs to the house.
When he goes, I am going to be a mess. We don't deserve dogs.

We added runners everywhere when Z started having problems with her back legs, they helped. The two cats thought we added play toys and tunneled under the rugs or pulled them into a series of mogels. Had to fix the rugs a few times a day. Crazy cats.

Sorry for your loss. We lost Juggy a couple of years ago. Ziva is in Heaven. We will see them again…

Luckily, we still have Tuffy. He's a Westy-Cairn Terrier - Jack Russel mix. I think he's about 14 years old. He can't always hold his pee, so he's baptized the floor several times and raised the grain in one place in the hall. I have pee-pads blue-taped to the floor wherever he's peed, and he's in a wrap a lot, but not full-time. When he's not feeling well, he'll leave some land mines behind, but always on a pee-pad.

I swear he's part cat. He's had several strokes where he can't stand, let alone walk, and a few days later he's zipping around the house like nothing happened. He has a heart murmur, which he's getting medicine for. He used to be able to walk me under the sidewalk, but now a 15-minute walk is rare.

He's one of the things I'll keep after my wife passes. She brought him home to be a foster child for my in-laws, but they couldn't keep him, so we adopted him. As my wife is completely incapacitated, I've taken over his care and feeding, except when I can't be home over a meal.

When he passes, I'll miss him, but not cleaning up after him!

Gary, I know exactly what you are going through. Please accept my warmest condolences.

vlcsnap-00001.png

Gary, I know exactly what you are going through. Please accept my warmest condolences.
View attachment 113304

Jay,

So sorry for your loss. It’s a brutal process most of us go through at some point but that still doesn’t make it easier.

One of our friends said to us it’s the transfer of love from the fur baby lost to the new pup that will heal your heart.

Mary and I could deal with doing the right thing for Ziva, we owe them that much, not to let them suffer. The hardest part is the empty house and their unconditional love at all times.

We decided that we would head to the local shelter and adopt. Our home now is filled with puppy breath and new adventures. Honestly we forgot how much work it is keeping up with an 8 week old, and house breaking. What a work out!

Happy to say she loves the airport, loves to sit and watch the planes taxi in and out. Now to get her in the air.

01C1F980-8D14-490D-9C10-0CAEB772692B.jpeg 3D64A467-289C-4DF7-82BD-5E1E5696458C.jpeg 9588EB09-3DB7-4005-9ACE-9003A10BFAE4.jpeg 57C20CF5-8899-4284-9321-B085A97CB683.jpeg

Last edited:
Jay,

So sorry for your loss. It’s a brutal process most of us go through at some point but that still doesn’t make it easier.

One of our friends said to us it’s the transfer of love from the fur baby lost to the new pup that will heal your heart.

Mary and I could deal with doing the right thing for Ziva, we own them that much, not to let them suffer. The hardest part is the empty house and their unconditional love at all times.

We decided that we would head to the local shelter and adopt. Our home now is filled with puppy breath and new adventures. Honestly we forgot how much work it is keeping up with an 8 week old, and house breaking. What a work out!

Happy to say she loves the airport, loves to sit and watch the planes taxi in and out. Now to get her in the air.

View attachment 113316 View attachment 113317 View attachment 113318 View attachment 113319
Can't like that Airport Dog photo enough!

Back