About forcing an underpowered model plane to take off and fly

simplex1

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
simplex1

Suposing I have a 2.5 meters wingspan model plane that is only capable to leave the ground for a few inches in length and less than 1/2 inch in hight, is it any chance to force this plane to take off and fly, for minutes, if a put it above a powerful toy truck able to accelerate it above the takeoff speed or do not use the truck and instead let the plane accelerate by itself on a road with a relatively steep slope?

Suposing I have a 2.5 meters wingspan model plane that is only capable to leave the ground for a few inches in length and less than 1/2 inch in hight, is it any chance to force this plane to take off and fly, for minutes, if a put it above a powerful toy truck able to accelerate it above the takeoff speed or do not use the truck and instead let the plane accelerate by itself on a road with a relatively steep slope?
You could tie it to an emu and let the emu pull it off the ground when it takes flight.:yikes:

...let the plane accelerate by itself on a road with a relatively steep slope?

The steeper the road the more things will fly off of it. If the road is vertical a brick will fly off of it. These things are obvious :dunno:

how about if you build a toy tower from which you drop a toy ballast weight, which via toy cables and pulleys would provide a catapult launch to the toy plane ?

If it gets off the ground in ground effect and settles down again, it either won't fly due to lack of power, or you are pitching up too high trying to climb. A model glider launch bungee would probably work best for getting in the air, but if it doesn't have enough thrust to make up for the drag, it'll settle back down anyway.

If it gets off the ground in ground effect and settles down again, it either won't fly due to lack of power, or you are pitching up too high trying to climb. A model glider launch bungee would probably work best for getting in the air, but if it doesn't have enough thrust to make up for the drag, it'll settle back down anyway.
sort of like trying to take off on one engine in a C-337

Is anybody's head going to explode with a treadmill thread remix?

Underpowered is just a name for lack of piloting skill. if you had enough experience flying glider versions of your 'underpowered' model I'm sure you could get it off the ground long enough for some one to take a picture.

Let me be the first to mention the wright brothers so we can skip all the allusions and get right to the part where you say "now that someone brought it up"

should save some time.

Spend the money, upgrade the engine or hang it from the ceiling and leave it there.

simplex adjective

1 : allowing communication in only one direction.

So, is it possible or not?
I am seeing that somebody suggested to follow the example of the Wright brothers who in 1904 had a plane unable to take off in calm weather but somehow miraculously after using a catapult the airplane got airborne and flew quit long distances.

So, is it possible or not?
I am seeing that somebody suggested to follow the example of the Wright brothers who in 1904 had a plane unable to take off in calm weather but somehow miraculously after using a catapult the airplane got airborne and flew quit long distances.
I gather your position is that the Wright brothers did not fly because they used a catapult launch and did their initial tests in a remote location out of the public eye.
There are unconfirmed rumors that the same technique might still be in use today, and still in remote locations out of sight of most people.

attachment.php

Attachments

• USS_Ronald_Reagan_(CVN_76).jpg
    USS_Ronald_Reagan_(CVN_76).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 100
Someone owes me a beer for saving 2 pages of posts beating around that bush.

Obviously the airplane can take off on a treadmill running backwards. The net result of the treadmill and wheel system is to cause a small additional drag force on the plane, easily overcome by the thrust from the propeller.

(Proper trolling has much in common with fishing. One must be patient, positioned correctly and use the appropriate bait. )

:D

Someone owes me a beer for saving 2 pages of posts beating around that bush.
Meh I thought not stating the obvious was fun. Everyone knows the Wright Brothers didn't have air filters and the engine would have choked to death on sand long before it could have powered them into the air...

Back