Aborted Take Off Today

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
5AM Preheat 3hours, uncover plane, preflight, start, talk to tower, taxi, run up, take off roll. No airspeed indicated, abort take off. Taxi to tie down, cover and hook up the ropes. Done flying by 8:30AM.

Cant get in a heated hanger for a week to thaw pito. Worked good last weekend...:(

Live to fly another day, can't win them all...;)

Well, that sucks. Do you not have pitot heat?
Was going to install one last month when I had the plane in for annual,ran out of time for hanger space. In the box ready to install..:(

Sure beats the Mooney guy last week @ KPDK who key'd the mic after taking off and said "tower, we need to return and land to remove the pitot cover". Guy was on an IFR flight plan too...

No hangar necessary. Heat the pitot and trace the tubing to rule out an ice block. An hour and a half tops. Hell, I wouldn't have noticed my airspeed didn't work until I was half way to where I was going. And I would have kept going, too.

Sure beats the Mooney guy last week @ KPDK who key'd the mic after taking off and said "tower, we need to return and land to remove the pitot cover". Guy was on an IFR flight plan too...
Wasnt me. lol

No hangar necessary. Heat the pitot and trace the tubing to rule out an ice block. An hour and a half tops. Hell, I wouldn't have noticed my airspeed didn't work until I was half way to where I was going. And I would have kept going, too.
I'm with you there Stewart. Wanted to fly an hour or so and come back to watch the Daytona 500. Just bagged the flight.. Did get to see a CH-46 helo take off, brought back memories of my Navy days

I did just that in a C-207 out of Kotz one winter morning.....

Note to self.....check pitot heat BEFORE take off.....:lol::lol::lol:

Those that have and those that will...

Been there done that. It was my first trip with a passenger after passing my checkride. I departed MVY and the ASI did come alive, but a little later than usual. It got up to 50 kias and would not go any higher, but I was obviously going much faster. I rotated and took off like a rocket since I was really far above Vr. I pushed the nose down to try to get the ASI to indicate higher but it wouldn't go above 55. Then I looked over and noticed the red cover on the pitot tube. I told tower, "I need to make this closed pattern" and he immediately cleared me to land. The pitot cover was thick nylon and didn't look porous at all, so I'm very surprised the ASI came alive at all and got up to 55 kias.

I really appreciated that lesson a few weeks earlier when my CFI covered all the instruments for the entire flight and had me do a bunch of takeoffs and landings. In my defense (not a very good one), the velcro on the pitot cover was worn down and the standard procedure at this club was to tie the "Remove before flight" hang down around the pitot tube.

Last edited:
Cant get in a heated hanger for a week to thaw pito. Worked good last weekend...:(
Aww. I only had that happen when a bug plugged static with mud. Fortunately, my static line has a QD on the inside where the wings come off.

Attachments

• 20140628a1.jpg
    20140628a1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 21
Back