Aargh! How do you manage ramp life in the winter?

Not sure if this is viable or not but saw one happy owner on the 182 facebook page that is in a situation like yours.

Basically he is using one of the new small portable camping diesel powered heaters. That is then ducted up into the cowl flap from the bottom. The nice thing about this setup is that it will run off of a lithium battery pack so you can just place the diesel powered heater and battery pack on the ramp and let it run with no need for external AC power. I thought that I've read these small diesel heaters can be a bit ornery (as in don't always run all night) but seemed like a great very portable solution. I would think it would also start to heat the cabin as well. Definitely not something you want to build into the plane but seems like it would only take minutes to setup and a Jackery style large power bank should be enough to run the small fan and electronics for a few hours. Could also be used for camping I suppose.

I already posted a similar system from Mooney Space. :D

I already posted a similar system from Mooney Space. :D
Crap, sorry I missed that one. Hopefully the OP goes to that link instead. At least you experience with it mine was only hearsay.

Not me, I was just posting the link.

But it would be interesting if someone came up with a commercial version for sale. It would be nice to carry on trips.

I’m in IL where it is often in single digits for days or even weeks long. At least sometimes we get to see the sun once a month in winter. Thankfully hangar is kept about 80°with IR overhead heaters. Warms every part of the plane so even my headset is warm and comfy. It does cause overheating a bit at times when preflighting inside . All the posts of things others need to do to fly in cold confirm no ramp for me.

Some places only have 2 seasons ; Winter and Fourth of July!

Back