AAAAAAHHHGG!!!!!! "sorry, they sold the plane you reserved"

File this under 'First World Problems!.

pwrngrpvrty.jpg

It will be interesting to hear what Gina's boss's remedy is......

In my rental experience - assume every airplane is always for sale (most of them usually are). Unless the FBO owns the planes they rent, I don't think they have control over the intentions of the owner who is leasing it back.

I already mentioned getting checked out in a plane, then finding out it sold the next day. The FBO might have been aware the plane was for sale, but it may also have been for sale for years and just happened to finally sell that week. Another time a plane sold and I found out about it when I showed up to take it for a flight - that was a situation where the FBO did know it was for sale, did tell renters it may not be around for much longer, but did drop the ball and not let some renters (like me) know it had been taken off the rental line when it did sell earlier that day. The third time I had a checkout flight scheduled in a plane that sold just before my flight was scheduled - that time the FBO did give me a rental break on another plane.

LOL, I briefly thought "wow, the entire fleet of airplanes isn't available, that's surely a first world problem" but I understand the frustration of being a customer and getting ignored. :rofl:

on the other hand, 6PC, not sure I would have mentioned you paid twice as much for the same plane elsewhere, now they might up their rental rate on the remaining planes!

I know. I realize b!tching about plane problems is REALLY 1st world.
But I am on a 1st world forum so the playing field is a bit level.

My ultimate complaint is also about a customer service issue which transcends the 1st world.

It is complicated because if it had been a rental car, I could go to a hundred other places and get another one for the same price. In this scenario, there is a lot more in the balance.

And yes, I know it could be way worse.
I have not lost sight of the broken back thread, or the many threads about small aircraft that haven't made it home.

I still get to throw a little 1st world temper tantrum though right? :dunno:

Only if he asked and they told him "No, we have a contract on it for the next xxx duration of time."

We live under Caveat Emptor rules. They are not under any obligation to disclose anything you don't ask. They are not even under obligation to give you an honest answer if you do ask. It's up to you to check and verify.

I know. I realize b!tching about plane problems is REALLY 1st world.
But I am on a 1st world forum so the playing field is a bit level.

My ultimate complaint is also about a customer service issue which transcends the 1st world.

It is complicated because if it had been a rental car, I could go to a hundred other places and get another one for the same price. In this scenario, there is a lot more in the balance.

And yes, I know it could be way worse.
I have not lost sight of the broken back thread, or the many threads about small aircraft that haven't made it home.

I still get to throw a little 1st world temper tantrum though right? :dunno:

Yeah, I was just giving you crap. I frequently complain about the smallest issue when I feel customer service is at fault. For example I was in an FBO and asked if they knew of any local restaurants that delivered food. She said, 'no, only pizza joints'. Not in the mood for pizza at 11:00 I go to the front of the lobby to ponder my options. Right there in the front is a fricken deli. Why wouldn't the girl mention they have a deli on site?? She did technically answer my question...but sheesh!

Point is, I'm in no way immune to complaining over much smaller issues. Just thought it was funny.

So here is the message I sent to Gina and her response below:

Aug 26, I came and got checked out in the 172 (the non G1000) I worked with a CFI and someone named Rafael to get setup to use the aircraft.

Over a month out, I worked with Raphael and Gina to get it reserved for a trip next weekend, Oct 17-19. I had multiple exchanges with them as the website only allowed for 3 hr blocks so I had to have them manually schedule it for the 3 days.

I almost totally forgot but this morning remembered that I should go online and re confirm that I had the plane next weekend. I log on to the site and under equipment and rates, I see the plane listed, but under scheduling it is no longer there.
This seemed odd.

I called Raphael and he said "Hang on, let me call you back"

Nothing.

I emailed Gina and got the response this morning.

"My apologies but the owner of the aircraft sold it without our knowledge. It is my oversite that I did not contact you about your reservation. I thought I checked the schedule before removing it from the fleet."

I was disappointed to get that message.
I am so glad I followed up. What would have happened if I flew in Friday morning to pick up the plane?

I called everyone in town and was able to secure a plane at twice the price which I had reserved this one. This is for a family vacation with a couple of planes and my group is considering driving due to the price increase now.

I don't know when the original owner sold the plane but I am certainly frustrated that nobody notified me and I am also frustrated that nobody told me the plane was for sale. Why would anyone let me check out on a plane that is for sale? Certainly that is on the owner.

I raved about your operation on 2 different flight forums (one local and one national) because I was excited to find an affordable rate that didn't require daily minimums or a 3 hour checkout on the aircraft like every other flight center in my area.

I'm sad to have to share this portion of the experience but I can't in good conscience recommend a business that ignores their customers.

Very Disappointing.

Her response:

"Mr. Turner,

I cannot express enough how sorry I am that his has happened. I will pass this along to my boss, the owner."

I don't really want anything from them. I am irritated at them and we live in a "Yelp Review world" now and this is my way of reviewing them.

I wished that I had read your thread yesterday Bryan when you posted the OP. My initial thought that I had when I read the OP is further enhanced by the above post.

When you encounter problems like this, the best thing to do is to show up in person and resolve it with the person of authority. If you would have done that after receiving the initial response from Gina, its possible that the relationship could have been salvaged. As it stands I do not forsee you doing any more business with them and that is sad.

Even better, an Owner's son ;)

Dad is about to pull the trigger on a TB20. He says we need 2 planes and I can't bring myself to argue with him. I had to explain to him that I can pay my share of maintenance on the 9 but the 20 is all him. I will fly it while he is out of town though. Gotta keep the motor running ;)

IF I were in the market to buy - that's what I would be looking at. Basically one more switch than the TB10 I'm flying now :rolleyes2:

IF I were in the market to buy - that's what I would be looking at. Basically one more switch than the TB10 I'm flying now :rolleyes2:

I haven't been in a 10 just a 9 and a 20
The difference in speed, power, and elegance is noticable.

I will say the back seat of the 20 is not comfortable for me.
The planes are wide which means a little shorter. In the back to accommodate this the rear seats are permanently reclined a bit.

I prefer sitting straight up and in the back, if I do that I hit my head.
When I lean back on the seat, I get this weird feeling that I am way behind the CG. The back seat is completely behind the wing. Same in the 9 but I haven't noticed that feeling in the 9. Just an odd feeling.

But it is not that important. I tend to be up front and most of my pax are kids & wives and they fit better.

I would like to fly a 10 just to see how different it is. They certainly don't seem to be any cheaper than the 20s (sale price)

Haven't been bumped to the back seat yet - but will let you know what I think in a few weeks. Have milady set up for a Discovery flight (including a trip out to Catalina Island), so I'll be stuffed in the back :(

In the front, I have to recline the seat a bit to get enough headroom. Probably my only complaint with the Tobago, I prefer to sit a bit more upright.

10's aren't any cheaper - and you rarely find them for sale

I do the same on Controller. Some evenings I'll send my instructor half a dozen planes "that I want to look at" - he'll send me back pro's and con's for my choices - and why. I figure it's cheap education, I don't see me buying an aircraft anytime soon :)

Now, if a Commander 114 was to appear at a good price... :dunno:

I took my first ride in a commander yesterday.
I am sold.

I'm waiting to catch a ride in the one I see at TOA. Sooner or later :)

It could be worse. Years ago I went to pick up a plane I had reserved for a week and found out it had crashed due to a mechanical problem. Darn glad I didn't need it a week earlier.

It could be worse. Years ago I went to pick up a plane I had reserved for a week and found out it had crashed due to a mechanical problem. Darn glad I didn't need it a week earlier.

:eek:..................:yikes:

Impossible. I just looked up that crash and it says "Pilot Error"

It doesn't matter, you're all going to end up driving anyway due to the weather! #damnFront

Dad should have his TB20 by then if he stops slacking off :)

I saw one of those in person as a Marshall seizure. Nice plane

Back