AA to start flying iPads in the cockpit on Friday

Heck, they'll save even more money if they can get their pilots to stop riding the brakes on the ground!

Heck, they'll save even more money if they can get their pilots to stop riding the brakes on the ground!

Anyone know what the deal is what that? I took a couple of AMR flights last year and I couldn't believe how incredibly slow they taxied.

They have to, because there are no brakes left. You hear how much those MD8x series grind and shake and squeal and chatter when they touch the brakes? Holy moley.

Most likely an FOM issue..

When one's job (and family's financial security) is on the line, one could have a different perspective.

Fleet Operating Manuals contain guidance on taxi speeds. The DC-9 Operating Manual Volume I, Taxi-Takeoff Section, Page 10.3, states, “to preclude engine FOD, the manufacturer recommends a maximum taxi speed of 20kts.” The 777 Operating Manual states that “normal taxi speed is approximately 20kts” and “maximum speed for a turn of 90 degrees is 10kts.” The 737 Operating Manual advises to “avoid taxi speeds greater than 20kts on long taxi routes.” The 737 manual also warns that to pilots, “the airplane appears to be moving slower than it actually is due to the flight deck height above the ground. Consequently, the tendency is to taxi faster than desired.”

SWA apparently does not have Fleet Operating Manuals. :)

FWIW, I bleed AMR blood......but there is the inner industry joking and stereotypes that must be perpetuated.....one of those of course being that no one taxis faster than Southwest or slower than American.

FWIW, I bleed AMR blood......but there is the inner industry joking and stereotypes that must be perpetuated.....one of those of course being that no one taxis faster than Southwest or slower than American.

On this, we shall simply have to agree to agree! :yesnod:

We've been using iPads with jepp charts for almost a year now. Sooooo much easier and no more qserv or revisions! (well almost). Just hooked in xm weather too, really nice!

Just think if on average everybody in america lost 10 lbs, we'd be flying for free!

Passengers still required to stop playing Words with Friends. :devil:

Back