AA to charge $15 for FIRST checked bag...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/052208dnbusaaprotest.14f22ce7.html

American Airlines will significantly reduce its 2008 flight schedule, increase baggage fees and possibly cut jobs in response to rising fuel costs and concerns about the economy.

American’s parent company AMR announced the changes during its annual shareholder meeting Wednesday in Fort Worth.

Starting June 15, American will charge passengers a $15 fee for the first checked bag. Last week, the carrier began charging a $25 fee each way for the second checked bag. That means passengers checking two pieces of luggage could end up paying $80 round trip. The increase announced Wednesday does not apply to certain AAdvantage members and some full-fare and international flights.

Oh great now more people will INSIST in stufing their ginormous "carry-on" bag into the overheads.

Yep, but they'll keep their ticket prices the same so when you sort by price on Travelocity, they'll come out on top. Checked luggage? Oooh, sorry that'll cost you. Umm, that carry-on doesn't fit into the 22x6x9 box, does it? Guess it'll have to be checked, too.

I guess the next step will be when they don't let 'outside food or beverages' on board and force you to buy from them.

It really is quite a game to watch - travellers want the absolute cheapest way to fly, then complain about air travel being a commodity. The airlines try to compete on lowest cost but charge so low they all go bankrupt. Then everybody ends up getting caught by the disgruntled flight attendents, employees, and passengers. I guess that's the price of progress.

Yep, but they'll keep their ticket prices the same so when you sort by price on Travelocity, they'll come out on top. Checked luggage? Oooh, sorry that'll cost you. Umm, that carry-on doesn't fit into the 22x6x9 box, does it? Guess it'll have to be checked, too.

I guess the next step will be when they don't let 'outside food or beverages' on board and force you to buy from them.

It really is quite a game to watch - travellers want the absolute cheapest way to fly, then complain about air travel being a commodity. The airlines try to compete on lowest cost but charge so low they all go bankrupt. Then everybody ends up getting caught by the disgruntled flight attendents, employees, and passengers. I guess that's the price of progress.

Southwest does quite well with a simple model. This change will push more flyers onto WN. And no, WN is not always the cheapest.

Why? Just don't fly AA. Free market!

Southwest does quite well with a simple model. This change will push more flyers onto WN. And no, WN is not always the cheapest.

Yeah, I agree. I've noticed that Southwest doesn't appear in Travelocity, Orbitz, or the rest. You have to go to their own website. I think AA is doing it this way so they can effectively raise their prices without affecting their "sort by price" in those travel websites.

The thing about Southwest is, at least you know what you get. There aren't any surprises like surcharges on a checked bag.

Which means that the first travel sites that list the REAL, TOTAL, INCLUSIVE of all the crap costs to compare are the ones people should use.

Hey, the mobile phone companies get away with it. Nobody knows what all of the "recovery fee" charges add until they're already roped in and committed.

They have the TSA doing that job - at least making sure you don't have any food you didn't get in the secure area.

All those workers and the TSA will be happy when the sheeple stop flying and they can be rid of the pesky customers. Then they can tell congress how they need another bailout because the national asset can't be profitable if it's not flying anybody.

And those cheap b*s have the nerve to have crews that are actually, *gag* happy and friendly to customers and each other. THIS HAS TO STOP! :goofy: Don't they know they're doing it all wrong??!!

And those cheap b*s have the nerve to have crews that are actually, *gag* happy and friendly to customers and each other. THIS HAS TO STOP! :goofy: Don't they know they're doing it all wrong??!!

Mike-

It is not fair- SWA people are happy because they are the best-paid in the industry, and their carrier makes money. Such a deal!

Last I checked, SW didn't go to Hawaii. Simple, cheap fares may be reasonable for short, direct flights. The Legacy carriers have different missions, longer flights, different crew requirements. I'm not taking their side; I have a trip booked and paid for to Hawaii. Can't change it now, but SW wasn't an option.

Best,

Dave

I do not have to pay the $15 because I am travelling before June 15. I will be going to Reno via Dallas on AA on Saturday, May 24. Do you work at the airport Tango Wiskey? Maybe I could meet you?:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Hi Bob, I don't work at the airport, but I work NEAR the airport. Unfortunately, Saturday isn't one of those days.... will you be at Gastons?? I'd enjoy getting to meet you.

I have to work next weekend. But this weekend I will be flying from Reno to Chicago. It looks like I could end up flying over ABQ to avoid weather. I could probably pick up someone in New Mexico and take them to Gastons on Sunday if they did not have to work...

Flew to SoCal last week. Had the option of Alaska/AA/United/etc to ONT, LAX, LGB, BUR or Virgin to LAX.

Chose Virgin. Damn nice airline, considering it all. Cheaper than the rest, and they gots a neato screen in the seatback to keep even a little whiney 5 year old occupied (or a 44 year old that acts like a whiney 5 year old when forced to sit in something other than seat with a control stick). I watched a couple of TV shows I never get to see and listened to some nice classical music and played Mah Jong.

The pilots wore black polo shirts and Dockers, not the fussy "look at me, I'm an airplane pilot" uniform. FA's were pleasant and had a sense of humor and looked genuinely happy to be there. Very refreshing.

No beverage cart in sight, if you want something, you push the buttons on the screen and poof, the FA brings it to ya. Comfy leather seats, and you gotta love the mood lighting.

Not too many routes available right now, they just started flying out of SEA last month. Hoping the next time I have to fly, they'll be going where I am.

Back