AA FA loses it on Dallas-Chicago flight today at DFW

LOL!

​Update, 12:30 p.m.: The flight's on the ground, but it will need to restock its alcohol supply. Details after the original.

Update, 12:28: The plane is on the ground, and Bethany Christakos, the Friend of Unfair Park who originally tipped us to the story, says the flight went smoothly, thanks to the new flight attendants' liberal pouring of booze.

"The attendants were nicer than I ever seen," she says. "They completely ran out of alcohol." They didn't announce that the bar was open, Christakos says. But "if you said, 'I want a drink,' they would just get it for you."

Source: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2012/03/american_airlines_flight_sent.php

(which also has a photo of the police and EMS response at the gate)

Hmm, sounds like she tried smoking something she can't handle and lost the plot lol.

The summer I turned 14 we took a charter flight to Germany to visit relatives and such. It was with Global International Airlines, an Iranian owned airline with a US flight deck and Persian cabin staff. The plane was an ancient Pan Am 707 (still had the Pan Am seatbelts). That began the flight with us stuck on the tarmac in a puddle of fuel in the St Louis late June weather with no AC. This was a flight of 12 adults and every other person being a high school student. Luckily everyone had summer gear in a bag and many had Frisbee and various other teen in the late seventies accoutrements. The lead flight attendant (I found out later a niece of the owner) started to get huffy when after an hour we started playing Frisbee and generally acting like high schoolers on a bus. I told her to be careful at least everybody is happy right now. Won't be as much fun when they're unhappy. 2 hours latter we got off, 4 hrs later we departed. Everybody fell right asleep in the hot cabin in their summer clothes and woke up a few hours later at FL 300 with icicles hanging off. Every one got changed back just in time for the port inboard engine to catch fire. So, emergency landing in Toledo, 2 hrs, back in the air, pilot declares 'Open Bar' as we cross into Canadian airspace... for everyone. When the plane plotzed into Reykjavik with the gods of fire again proving their ability to outwit the mechanics, there was unleashed upon what is about the most wonderful place for it to happen, a hoard of a couple hundred of the drunkest teenagers you ever met... and they kept on serving us!:cheerswine:
Back on the plane several hours later we finally complete our flight only delayed 24 hours, 2 hrs at a time so they never sprang for a hotel lol.

My mom I have seen in my life consume <100 glasses of wine. My dad has a bit more by adding a 12 pack of beer a year. They drank with everyone else on this flight. When my uncle saw us he couldn't stop laughing. We were all toast, the whole plane. Never been through customs and immigrations that fast either. They were shoving people through stamping on the fly before the barfing began lol, they're Germans, they're acquainted with drunk high school kids.

A bummer to have an affliction not of one's choice, such as bipolar disorder. Sad and unfortunate that she failed to take whatever it was she was using to control the disorder and had a severe episode.

A bummer to have an affliction not of one's choice, such as bipolar disorder. Sad and unfortunate that she failed to take whatever it was she was using to control the disorder and had a severe episode.

Drugs are a way more common reason for psychotic breaks than mental disease.

I thought FA's had medical certificates? How do they get to have that disorder, and take meds for it, and still be certified?

Unfortunate.

Very well said Jim and Bill.

Drugs are a way more common reason for psychotic breaks than mental disease.

Drugs can be the cause of psychotic breaks. Certainly there is no evidence one way or the other of that here other than the FA's statement that she suffered from BiPolar Disorder.

I thought FA's had medical certificates? How do they get to have that disorder, and take meds for it, and still be certified?

I was wondering the same...

It's fortunate she had this incident on the ground and not in flight.

No medical certificates. They are part of the DOT random drug screen test system, however.

I can only find requirements for Flight Attendant training in the FAR/AIM; nothing about meeting any medical requirements.

It is also possible that the airline would be in violation of the ADA if it denied employment to people as FAs who suffered from bipolar disorder but who were taking medications to control it.

Don't know why she didn't take this route:
40346_460946206653_732991653_6389689_7056347_n.jpg

Maybe TSA thought her Rx was phony?
Really though, of anyone on the a/c to have an episode, FA's would be second to last on the "likely" list, right before the pilots.

"A pilot who was traveling as a passenger and seated in the cabin tried to subdue the attendant, who seemed to be talking in a word salad"

"Word Salad" Now that's a new one.

@Ron, I was thinking about the same incident.

Maybe TSA thought her Rx was phony?
Really though, of anyone on the a/c to have an episode, FA's would be second to last on the "likely" list, right before the pilots.

It's the same possibility for each individual onboard, unknown positive.

I'm not making excuses here but there is a rare but distinct chance she took something that didn't agree with her. I've had one or two folks in my career who were just completely out of control in the ER behaviorally. No psych diagnosis. Adult. Too late for first break psychosis. Ingested something. No recollection of trying to kick all of our asses a day or two later. Ambien and Xanax don't affect everyone the same. It's kind of like what a layperson would call sleepwalking with attitude.

I'm not making excuses here but there is a rare but distinct chance she took something that didn't agree with her. I've had one or two folks in my career who were just completely out of control in the ER behaviorally. No psych diagnosis. Adult. Too late for first break psychosis. Ingested something. No recollection of trying to kick all of our asses a day or two later. Ambien and Xanax don't affect everyone the same. It's kind of like what a layperson would call sleepwalking with attitude.
Another possibility, assuming she was on meds for bipolar disorder: the all-too-common syndrome of feeling so terrific on the meds that the patient stops taking them (which they are usually eager to do, mostly because of the side effects). Doesn't take long before all hell breaks loose... :(

Another possibility, assuming she was on meds for bipolar disorder: the all-too-common syndrome of feeling so terrific on the meds that the patient stops taking them (which they are usually eager to do, mostly because of the side effects). Doesn't take long before all hell breaks loose... :(

Actually a lot go off their meds because they don't like the effect, not the side effect, unless you consider dull reasonable sanity a side effect; they like the high of being manic, they're willing to trade the depressive state.
Then there is denial and social stigma to throw in the mix.

Antipsychotic meds are a bit different, but people like their Seraquel.

Last edited:
The emotional turmoil associated with bankruptcies, layoffs, strikes, strike countdowns etc can be very strong.

Speaking from experience, when you are in the thick of it, it's hard to recognize that the physical discomfort or lack of appetite you may feel is due to the strong emotional ties we formed with our jobs.

Suicides are not unheard of.

Local newspapers, companies and unions do a terrible job of preparing people for the expected well documented results.

We also have a system that would rather see the workforce take drugs and start an expensive series of therapy sessions than give everyone an extra weeks vacation and back off on the daily dose of pointless pressure.

There are people in the US that think European countries are run by morons for mandating 3 weeks of vacation by law. Go figure?

Last edited:
Back