AA 767 Fire!

Darrell111

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Darrell111
image87ld.jpg
My mother works for AA and sent me these pics of a little problem they had with one of their 767's. I am pretty sure this happened durring a maitencence runup.

Description:
1230 PM, Friday, June 2, 2006 at LAX. American Airlines Boeing 767
>>doing a high power engine run had a #1 engine HPT failure. HPT let go
>>and punctured left wing, #2 engine, peppered fuselage and set
>> f ire to the aircraft. The turbine disk exits the engine and slices
>>through the aircraft belly and lodges in the outboard side of the #2
>>engine.

image59wt.jpg

image68ex.jpg

image77gf.jpg

image87ld.jpg

Skip Miller said:
Wow! Be prepared for anything!-Skip
How do you be prepared for THAT???

I'd like to sit in the non-turbine-slicing section, please!

If i recall correctly, years back an AA flight while taxing at DFW (md80) threw engine parts that went through the fuselage killing at least one person. Anyone remember that?

etsisk said:
How do you be prepared for THAT???
"OK, let's run the uncontained turbine failure checklist. FO, dig that sucker out, please. Oh, and while you are at it, ask ground to start the equipment...."

Memory items! Engine Fire.. which, ideally, you have reviewed because this is a post maintenance check. Don't just hit the brakes, push up the thrust levers, and pull out the sports section.
I'd like to sit in the non-turbine-slicing section, please!
When on a turboprop commuter plane, I don't sit in the plane of the propellers. As unlikely as it is for them to lose a blade, why sit there?

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
When on a turboprop commuter plane, I don't sit in the plane of the propellers. As unlikely as it is for them to lose a blade, why sit there?

-Skip

:eek:
Why even put seats there?:eek:

Skip Miller said:

-Skip

Might be unlikely, but a North Central Convair 580 went into a snowbank here in MN several years ago and the result was an engine tossing a prop blade through the fuselage killing at least one pax. So your fear may be justified, especially in the winter.

Troy Whistman said:
Hey, I searched for "767" (without quotes) before I posted that other thread... search found "no matches". What's up with that?

That would be a vBulletin limitation. Its the reason I use the 4 digit ICAO code for airport references here. Any search of less than 4 characters won't net a result.

Back