AA 1 - Squirrel 0

Well the article said they feared it had rabies sooooo my guess is that rather than spend several bucks to test the squirrel ( I think rabies tests involve killing the suspected carrier anyway) they sent it West so to speak. Also Hawaii has VERY strict laws regarding non native plants and animals that could destroy native habitats and animals. Just my hypothesis.

Well the article said they feared it had rabies sooooo my guess is that rather than spend several bucks to test the squirrel ( I think rabies tests involve killing the suspected carrier anyway) they sent it West so to speak. Also Hawaii has VERY strict laws regarding non native plants and animals that could destroy native habitats and animals. Just my hypothesis.
Hawaii is uniquely qualified to be a case study of how non native flora and fauna wreck havoc on indigenous evironments. There are so many species brought there by good or bad purposes that you hardly recognize the place anymore.

And the beer can has replaced most of the reefs. Auwe

Maybe the TSA killed it in case it was an Al Qaeda squirrel. It DID get on board without a security screening, after all.

It was ridiculous to kill the critter. It was no greater risk than the thousands still hanging around airport grounds. They could have set it free and had no issue at all since there was no report of anyone being bitten. :(

Back