A65 non-electric starter (what was it called?)

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
A few years ago, I was reading about a starter for the Continental A65, it used string, springs and a lever in the cockpit to hand start an A65 without having to prop it.

I think it was a factory option on Chiefs (but I may be wrong about that). My Google-Fu is failing me, all it turns up is the Hamp Starter (90° Cordless Drill). I am hoping someone on here can help.

I'm trying to find information about how it went together and if anyone is still making it.

@wanttaja I thought I read about it on a flybaby page, but I cannot find it now.

McDowell starter, or the Hamp.

There's also the Picconi starter ("Startit"), though it's not STC'd.

I'm hoping that MOSAIC includes the capability to use such non-STC'd add-ons which greatly increase safety.

Ron Wanttaja

McDowell is the one I'm looking for, is any company still building these?

Before I bought my PA-17 I test flew a Chief that had one.
It still worked!
The owner did tell me that in winter, he never used it.

McDowell is the one I'm looking for, is any company still building these?
Doubt it, but interestingly enough, there are literally three Chiefs on Barnstormers currently for sale with them installed.

The McDowell starter was standard equipment on the Aeronca 11AC Chief. They stopped production in the 1950s and the company is no longer in business. It was developed for the Model T to avoid hand starting with the crank. Many people abused them, didn't maintain them and they tossed them. You have to hand prop it until its almost ready to run and then use it, not yanking the handle. Used properly it's pretty slick. They are very rare unless already installed in a plane. Sad to think of all the landfills that have them rusting away in the bottom of the pile.

Is there anywhere to look for information if I want to build my own for an EAB application?

I have see the Hamp Starter and its likely the route I will go if I cannot fashion a McDowell starter.

But I would prefer to not have any electrics on the plane.

CDOWELL STARTER&INSTRUCTIONS • $950 • CLEANING OUT THE HANGAR • All engine parts ex cable.Cable is just 1/8" w/ stop.Email for pix Top cond. Aeronca Instructions • Contact Lawrence Huntley , Owner - located Hernando ( Holder ), FL 14837 United States • Telephone: 6072280927 • 6072280927 • Posted October 14, 2023 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This Ad
Browse some more listings...

This is on Barnstormers now.

Back