A380 SFO ILS28R video

JimNtexas

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim - In Texas!
Pretty interesting video of Lufthansa's first A380 landing at the San Francisco airport:

http://youtu.be/UdeV40I-aSM

Incredibly, the airplane survived the dreaded auto-throttle off hand flown landing!

I think that this is an outtake from a Smithsonian TV special on the A380.

Captain Rapp is a bit more skilled than Sum Ting Wong....

I was running a test on the ground prox on an ANA 747 one time and I swear it was saying "por up!, por up!, don't think!, don't think!"

maybe it was just my imagination...

I don't think that was the first landing, or a Smithsonian special, but that's a fabulous video. Real useful for student Bay Area pilots as it points out quite a lot of our common visual checkpoints.

I don't think that was the first landing, or a Smithsonian special, but that's a fabulous video. Real useful for student Bay Area pilots as it points out quite a lot of our common visual checkpoints.

There was indeed a TV documentary about this flight, which was Lufthansa's first scheduled A380 arrival in SFO. It was on the Smithsonian channel. The video linked above is the entire approach sequence, and portions of it were used in the documentary.

Captain Juergan Raps (I misspelled his name in my first post) was Lufthansa's chief pilot at the time, and he is now retired from flying. He is currently a consultant to the airline industry.

Last edited:
Captain Juergan Raps (I misspelled his name in my first post) was Lufthansa's chief pilot at the time, and he is now retired from flying. He is currently a consultant to the airline industry.

If it is the video I am thinking about, it marked his retirement from actively flying for the airline.

It's been posted a dozen times here, but still interesting.

The first minute or so where the keyboard gets slammed is priceless.

Back