A380 = Private Plane??

Probably Saudi. Or that Brunei head of state.

Nothing official, but there is talk of having an A380 at Airventure. It would required moving the jet warbirds if it takes off on 18 as it needs 1800' clear zone behind the engines when it starts its t/o roll.

Probably Saudi. Or that Brunei head of state.

Nothing official, but there is talk of having an A380 at Airventure. It would required moving the jet warbirds if it takes off on 18 as it needs 1800' clear zone behind the engines when it starts its t/o roll.

well i hope they have to hold over RIPON like the rest of us. and land on the third orange dot and off to the grass as soon as possible!

Roman Abramovich owns his own 767

If I was a multi-billionaire, chances are I would probably get one too (not out of pure want, but out of necessity)

p4-mes-2.jpg

guy must have a lot of friends, to fill up that big of an airplane.

"I can't tell you who it is but he's not from Europe or the United States."

Oh. I was thinking Steve Jobs was already looking at what his options will be worth when the iPhone ships.

I guess the oil companies aren't the only ones making out with us paying $4 a gallon.

Here's Paul Allen's ride for himself and his employees, including the Portland Trail Blazers and Seattle Seahawks ...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0694684/L/

-- Pilawt

Not to mention the Seattle Mariners... that bird was sitting on the ramp at Hobby a couple doors down from the museum I volunteer at this past weekend while its cargo was busy getting spanked by the Astros :).

I wonder if you can take the floor of the upper deck out and have a massive interior with cathedral ceilings or something like that? Now that would be cool.

Otherwise, what's the point except to be able to say "mine's bigger than yours?" Especially 'cuz there's only gonna be a couple dozen airports worldwide these behemoths will be able to land at.

I wonder if you can take the floor of the upper deck out and have a massive interior with cathedral ceilings or something like that? Now that would be cool.
Yes, but I doubt it. I bet the floor has some structural purpose.
Otherwise, what's the point except to be able to say "mine's bigger than yours?"
....but that IS the point! What else matters? :dunno:

-Skip

Airbus introduced the A340-600 when I was at Farnborough a few years ago. It did some "aerobatic" moves, slooooow flight (the AOA was amazing), really astonishing stuff to see from such a big airplane. Quiet too. They know how to put on a show. As I recall they also did some formation stuff with a 330 or something. I never thought airliners would be interesting to watch. Course, I never thought gliders would be interesting until I saw the aerobatic glider formation ballet at the same show. Incredible.

The part that I don't understand is that there are only like 6-10 airports in the world that can handle this thing. There can't be more than a couple of dozen total in the next several years.

He must not want to jet set to far off undiscovered places.

The part that I don't understand is that there are only like 6-10 airports in the world that can handle this thing. There can't be more than a couple of dozen total in the next several years.

He must not want to jet set to far off undiscovered places.

Maybe they'll just get in the airplane and go fly around for a while and land back at the same field? :dunno:

After all, they're the ones with the oil, so who cares how much fuel you burn?

Maybe they'll just get in the airplane and go fly around for a while and land back at the same field? :dunno:

After all, they're the ones with the oil, so who cares how much fuel you burn?

Nah. He'll just cough up the $5 million or whatever it costs to put in the necessary gate equipment at any airport he wants to fly to.

Nah. He'll just cough up the $5 million or whatever it costs to put in the necessary gate equipment at any airport he wants to fly to.

One of the other issues with it is runway strength.

He'll probably piggyback a G-IV on it (like the Space Shuttle on the 747) for the local hops when he gets to the continent he's going to.

Otherwise, what's the point except to be able to say "mine's bigger than yours?" Especially 'cuz there's only gonna be a couple dozen airports worldwide these behemoths will be able to land at.

More bedrooms and a place to keep your harem...

He'll probably piggyback a G-IV on it (like the Space Shuttle on the 747) for the local hops when he gets to the continent he's going to.

Now you're talking. Maybe mount a Cub on the G-IV to get into the smaller strips. That's a LOT of utility from a plane.

Last edited:
So heres the question will the private A380 and that private 757 beloning to Paul Allen be considered GA?

Now you're talking. Maybe mount a Cub on the G-IV to get into the smaller strips. That's a LOT of utility from a plane.

Heh... I think the A380's stall speed is above Vne for the Cub!

Of course, if you mounted something a little bigger than a G-IV on the 380 (like a 737), you could put a Cub *inside* it! :D

Hmmm, I'm starting to have design ideas for my perfect airplane. You know, the supersonic taildragger known-ice twin STOL amphibious aerobatic one. :D :D :D

So heres the question will the private A380 and that private 757 beloning to Paul Allen be considered GA?

What's your definition of GA?

Part 91? No. Ref. 14 CFR 125.1, though in the case of the 380 if our speculations are correct 125.1(c) would apply.

Non-military, non-airline? Yep. And that's really what GA is right? Everything else.

I found a pic of Paul Allen's 757 at HOU from this past weekend...

Attachments

• NameThatPlane_Full3.JPG
    NameThatPlane_Full3.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 13
Heh... I think the A380's stall speed is above Vne for the Cub!

Of course, if you mounted something a little bigger than a G-IV on the 380 (like a 737), you could put a Cub *inside* it! :D

Hmmm, I'm starting to have design ideas for my perfect airplane. You know, the supersonic taildragger known-ice twin STOL amphibious aerobatic one. :D :D :D

...that runs on carbon dioxide that it pulls from the surrounding air...

...that runs on carbon dioxide that it pulls from the surrounding air...

Nope,....photons that it pulls in through a magnetic scoop.... Take off, depart atmosphere, visit distant planets....

Back