A380 clips CRJ at JFK

Telemakhos

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Telemakhos
The Comair CRJ 700 Regional Jet was carrying 62 passengers and four crew members, said Betsy Talton, a spokeswoman of Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines Inc., for which Comair operates regional flights. All the passengers were taken off the plane and into a terminal, she said.
That must have been quite a surprise to suddenly be flipped around about 90 degrees for no apparent reason...

Wonder what the CRJ pilot had to say on the radio when that happened?

Ouchie. I guess a CRJ will not quite fit under the wing of a 380. :D

My first thought was "hey- what about the external cameras on the 380?" then I realized that you can't see the wingtips even with those. :rolleyes2:

So did the pilots get out, meet on the tarmac, and exchange insurance info??? :D

Just a scrape? What kind of maintenance do you suppose that Comair will have to undergo before it's returned to service?

Nothing a little bondo won't cure. :D

"Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated with your seatbelts fastened until the aircraft comes to a full and complete stop at the..."

"Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated with your seatbelts fastened until the aircraft comes to a full and complete stop at the...WTF was that!"

Fixed it for ya. :wink2:

Here is the aftermath of the CRJ:

Attachments

• comaircrj.jpg
    comaircrj.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 82
Nothing a little bondo won't cure. :D
Bondo, baling twine, duct tape, some MEK, and good ol' fashioned elbow grease.
The pilots who fly it next might need to adjust the trim in cruise a bit more than usual.

Bondo, baling twine, duct tape, some MEK, and good ol' fashioned elbow grease.
The pilots who fly it next might need to adjust the trim in cruise a bit more than usual.

Yeah, it just got that old style 'ground adjustable' rudder trim installed.

Here is the aftermath of the CRJ:

Yeeesh! The vertical stab is pretty much snapped off. It was struck from the right (from the photo's view) but wound up leaning to the right. Not bent metal, but instead snapped metal.

--Carlos V.

Would that be a ground loop or AIO - Airbus Induced Oscilation?
New FAA safety seminar: "Ground Loops: Not Just For Taildraggers Anymore"
Or, a new "I Learned About Flying From That" article: "The A380 ALWAYS Has the Right of Way"

what do ya think the deductible is on that 380?
and how many points will the pilots get on their licenses?
CRJ looks like a toy the way it got tossed...

I wonder how many whiplash suits will be filed...

-Rich

I bet 99.34% will be justified..... How the pilot and co pilot didn't get beat up is beyond me.... That had to have been quite a ride up in the front of the RJ..:confused::confused::dunno:

Last edited:
Yeeesh! The vertical stab is pretty much snapped off. It was struck from the right (from the photo's view) but wound up leaning to the right. Not bent metal, but instead snapped metal.

The photo's from the front. It's leaning to the port side. ;)

Anybody see the marshaller running away from the swinging RJ :hairraise: .

Just a scrape? What kind of maintenance do you suppose that Comair will have to undergo before it's returned to service?

I'll bet it's in service in under a week, maybe even a day. I doubt the damage is substantial, just some bolt on parts.

This is exactly why you should keep your seat belt fastened until the plane reaches the gate.

Is it just me but it appears that the A380 is taxing rather fast. Not that it would make much of a difference.

This is exactly why you should keep your seat belt fastened until the plane reaches the gate.

Is it just me but it appears that the A380 is taxing rather fast. Not that it would make much of a difference.

Large aircraft, especially at JFK, frequently taxi pretty fast. It's a big airport. It didn't look to me like it was taxiing any faster than I would've expected to see.

From a jolt like that the CRJ may have additional damage primarily in the tail cone area.

I agree that JFK is a large airport however I tend to slow down when nearing the ramp and tie downs.

I'll bet it's in service in under a week, maybe even a day. I doubt the damage is substantial, just some bolt on parts.

Did you see the picture I posted of the tail???

I doubt that plane will be back in service in a week. If all it needs is a bolt on vertical stab.....maybe, but I suspsect there was more damage than that. Heck, it will probably take over a week to clean all the pooh out of the seats.

Did you see the picture I posted of the tail???

I doubt that plane will be back in service in a week. If all it needs is a bolt on vertical stab.....maybe, but I suspsect there was more damage than that. Heck, it will probably take over a week to clean all the pooh out of the seats.

Yeah, I saw... I still say a week or less unless they are insured against loss of use (although then the insurance company will be cracking the whip).

This is an operational business asset, not a personal toy. The cost of repairs is low compared to the cost of loss of revenue. A pro sheet metal crew can rebuild that whole assembly including empenage in a week.

Anyway we can plug the tail number into Flight Aware and find out when it flies next?

maybe the pilot used to drive a taxi in europe?:hairraise:
i thought it looked a little fast as well, although large masses do tend to mess with the senses. id be a little surprised if prior to jfk allowing the 380's to operate there that port authority didnt check clearances on taxiways given the larger aircraft...in the mid 90's when children of chernobyl wanted to land the AN-225 at ewr there was a lot of "behind the scenes" work done to assure safe operation of the aircraft on the airport, to include wing clearance...

Back