A36TN vs. B36TC vs. Turbo Saratoga

Jps19602002@mac.com

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bruuce
I've been flying a normally aspirated Saratoga Cherokee-6-300 for a while and happy with it. It was a great platform to do my IFR and then build confidence and experience as a relatively low time pilot. Now that I am feeling more comfortable, I want to extend my trips beyond ~200 nm and the toga is too slow. I don't want to give up too much useful load (currently 1350) so a cirrus is out and I don't want to go to a much bigger plan yet. Don't have the cash or the need to go twin or turbine single. It looks to me that if I want to go 170+ KIAS, I need to get something with a turbo and oxygen so I can go higher. Options seem to be Bo or turbo toga. Lose a lot of useful load with the toga but the $$$ are much bigger for the Bo. Also heard that the TN Bo's aren't as reliable as the factory TC's. Who can help me with advice on the operating cost/experience of any of these? What about advice on FIKI vs. useful load penalty?

I'd go for the A-36TN, most efficient of the three. I haven't heard any problems with the reliability of the TAT refit.

Back