A36 or Velocity XL

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I'm thinking about cashing in my child's college fund so I can buy a new plane (/s). Anyhoo, It seems like a decent one can be had for 150k or so, how do they rank in terms of:
  • Passenger comfort: My guess would be a draw from pictures, but I haven't sat in either. Seems like it might be nice to put your feet up if you had club seating in the A36.
  • Long term costs: My guess would be Velocity due to the experimental cost advantage in both avionics and own maintenance, but a lycoming is a lycoming so maybe not as much as one would think at first glance as far as big costs go? What's insurance going to be like? A draw due to 6 seats versus 4 and experimental?
  • Baggage capacity: Haven't come across any good pictures of the Velocity baggage area, so not sure, but some experimentals seem a little lacking in this department.
  • Baggage/Passenger loading: A36 has those big doors in the back, so I'm guessing it's probably superior here. Maybe not a big deal with the gull-wing doors on the Velocity though?
  • Speed: I'm guessing the Velocity wins this one, but maybe not a huge difference on all but the longest flights, which I don't do a lot of currently.
Other thoughts: My A&P is very experienced with experimental aircraft, but most Lancairs. My home field is 5,000ft and my most frequent destination is 6,500ft so short field performance isn't much of a consideration for me.

Once in the back of Velocity it's not too bad.

Maintenance should be much less on the Velo.

Insurance would probably be less on the Bo. My last renewal was in the $4,000 area ($160K hull).

Baggage capacity on the Velocity is okay. It's behind the back seats so access is not easy. If it's just the wife and I, we usually just put everything in the back seat.

Getting into the back a Bo has got to be 1,000 times easier than getting into the back of a Velocity. :(

I average about 198kts TAS on 13.5GPH. :cool:

Good thing you have long field length. I don't even think about going into a field unless I've got 2,800'. There are a couple with a beta prop. One is based at a 2,500' strip and has plenty of room.

I think the bottom line is you'll carry more people/baggage in the A36, albeit slower. But costs will be higher.

EDIT: Error on fuel flow. Not 12.5GPH.

Last edited:
EXP opens up a whole new world; that is a biggie for me.
Ask also about how they compare in strong winds, if you see any (I do).
Does ramp appeal count in your tally?

Once in the back of Velocity it's not too bad.

Maintenance should be much less on the Velo.

Insurance would probably be less on the Bo. My last renewal was in the $4,000 area ($160K hull).

Baggage capacity on the Velocity is okay. It's behind the back seats so access is not easy. If it's just the wife and I, we usually just put everything in the back seat.

Getting into the back a Bo has got to be 1,000 times easier than getting into the back of a Velocity. :(

I average about 198kts TAS on 12.5GPH. :cool:

Good thing you have long field length. I don't even think about going into a field unless I've got 2,800'. There are a couple with a beta prop. One is based at a 2,500' strip and has plenty of room.

I think the bottom line is you'll carry more people/baggage in the A36, albeit slower. But costs will be higher.

do you have any videos of your plane or you flying it? you know, panel shots and audio and whatnot?

Thank you for the great response donjohnston. It sounds like for my criteria the A36 might be the slightly better choice. That speed coupled with that fuel flow is mighty nice though.

For whatever it’s worth, I much preferred the Velocities I’ve flown to the Bonanzas. Thought they were much more comfortable (front and back). And they’re faster and handle better.

Back