A year ago

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
A year ago today I passed my Private pilot check ride. I can't really believe it but it's true- my logbook says so. Over this past year I've flown around 50 hours, all but around 5 hours without another pilot on board. I've been to 6 different airports and flown to 4 different states. I've given 6 people their first ever ride in a small plane. Most of all though, I've filled my mind with amazing memories and experiences that are worth every dollar I've spent.

I'm not sure about you all but flying makes things better in my life. It is an escape when times are tough, and a reminder of how good life is when life is going well. It's a pursuit that demands precision and respect. It's something that occupies my thoughts, allows me to wander and wonder about my next adventure. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and commardere knowing that I'm a part of something that few people are. Not many people can relate to the following things but I would imagine all reading this can. I love the feeling of aligning up with the center line, giving full throttle, pulling back just enough to lift the plane off the ground. I love during climb out when the realization that you are no longer connected to the ground and that first great view from above fills the windows and realizing that landing is now no longer an option. I love when flying to a different airport that moment when I'm not quite sure I'm going to be able to find the airport and the thrill I get when it comes into site. I love hearing "cleared to land," and turning final on the return leg back to the home airport and making a good landing and taxiing back to the ramp because that's about when I start to think about what I just did and how great it is.

So one year ago someone said I was qualiied to fly a plane by myself- I'm really glad he did!

Congrats! These milestones are important to us, your first year, your first 100 hours, filling your first logbook, plenty of things to help mark this journey.:D

We are a lucky bunch. Thanks for sharing!

Back