A week with Stratus

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
I bought Stratus 10 days ago. It arrived a week ago.

I have flown about 3 hours total with it. It seems to lose about 10% battery charge per hour flown here in SoCal.

On the ground at Brackett we are about 6nm from ONT. ONT has a ADS-B transmitter on site and I can not pick it up on the ground at POC however.

On a bad weather [for SoCal] day [last Friday - 2-3k OVC - BKN layers to 15000 a little bit of rain here and there] I took a hop from POC to CRQ and back for lunch. Once I was established on the departure from POC and had the airplane on the right radial headed for PRADO about 1600' in the soup I looked down and I had weather. I its picks it up pretty fast on the climbout. It displayed the local precip fairly well.

I had local METAR weather and 1m WAAS GPS resolution the entire flight. All the local airports had metars and my local radar was never more than 5 min old that I could see. There were no TFR's displayed however. I know the Disney one was right there. Stratus overlays the weather you receive when you get a briefing - so the TFR I received in the briefing was lost.

Today I flew a severe clear round robin leg. POC - F70 - VISTA - OCN - DANAH - JOGIT - POC.

Before I turned crosswind I had local weather from the ONT site - and it updated fairly regularly. The local radar was on a 5 min cycle [and there was nothing there today] but in a one hour flight the National Nexrad only updated once - when I scanned out to the entire nation there were only a few hits in the midwest near the lakes and there was nothing in the Seattle area even though I know it was raining there.

So the jury is out - it works ok locally - which is the only real reason why you need it. Not having the Disney TFR displayed when I flew within 5nm of it was a little disconcerting . . .

I'll post more as I fly more - I am buying a universal PDA mount for it and will mount on the window behind my head - then I can cut the wifi power back a little and save some battery life.

I will probably just keep it in the airplane and power it with a long cigar lighter extension under the seat so that it turns on when I turn on the master.

The only thing I miss about XM is the easy winds aloft forecast but I found that the XM winds were rarely accurate and often had a head wind when it was telling me to expect a TW.

Thanks for the report Joe.

The information was being displayed on your iPad?

Interestingly Foreflight did not auto sequence the waypoints today when I flew right over my first one - F70 - I did not notice that the line was not magenta - cause I was playing with other things - but when I sequenced the correct leg it properly sequenced from there - interesting. I wonder why that happened -

With stratus and foreflight, what is the overlay setting dropdown when you select both TFRs and ADS-B radar? Can you screenshot the checkmarks and post them here? I'm really curious about this TFR thing.

My last XC saw my built-in GPS lose signal from my lap, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't consider an external GPS.

With stratus and foreflight, what is the overlay setting dropdown when you select both TFRs and ADS-B radar? Can you screenshot the checkmarks and post them here? I'm really curious about this TFR thing.

My last XC saw my built-in GPS lose signal from my lap, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't consider an external GPS.

Not sure what you are saying since there is no way to tell Foreflight which data to display . ..

And yes, you should have an external GPS - but the XGPS150 is very good and very inexpensive at less than $100. My problem with all the little pucks is that I forget and leave them in the airplane where they go dead - as I mentioned I will mount my Stratus on the window using a suction mount and leave it powered up - so that it powers up and down with the power on and off of the master.

Not sure what you are saying since there is no way to tell Foreflight which data to display . ..

What Chris might be asking about is, when on the Maps screen, and you touch the drop down menu at the top left of the screen, is there an option for ADS-B information? Or is using this data stream a default.

It's that menu that allows you to select overlays like Radar, Fuel prices, TFR's, etc.

What Chris might be asking about is, when on the Maps screen, and you touch the drop down menu at the top left of the screen, is there an option for ADS-B information? Or is using this data stream a default.

It's that menu that allows you to select overlays like Radar, Fuel prices, TFR's, etc.
Yes precisely. I'm wondering if the Stratus data feed is an extra checkbox, or if you just check "Radar" and get the same info via the ADS-B data source automatically.

Not sure what you are saying since there is no way to tell Foreflight which data to display

Yes there is - You touch the menu to choose which maps to display, and the ADS-B information is used where applicable. To show the TFR data, you must have TFR's selected in the menu.

In any case, you always have a base map (Sectionals, low or high enroutes, world map or street map) selected, and zero to two overlays - The first being either satellite or NEXRAD, and the other being any of the others, like... Wait for it... TFR's.

These options work the same whether on the ground and using weather through the Internet, or in the air and using ADS-B weather through the Stratus.

So, that may be why you didn't see the TFR. Give it a try next time, and see if you see it now. :thumbsup:

Yes precisely. I'm wondering if the Stratus data feed is an extra checkbox, or if you just check "Radar" and get the same info via the ADS-B data source automatically.

The latter - ForeFlight works the same regardless of where the data is coming from. You can tell the difference, though - If you're getting the Radar feed through the Stratus, for example, the timestamp will be appended with "(Stratus)" for example, and METARs will say "ADS-B" after them.

The latter - ForeFlight works the same regardless of where the data is coming from. You can tell the difference, though - If you're getting the Radar feed through the Stratus, for example, the timestamp will be appended with "(Stratus)" for example, and METARs will say "ADS-B" after them.
Your next post is where I was going. I was wondering if the TFR layer was not selected.

Thank you for the info. Seems like a good tool for cross country flying. Now if the cig lighters worked in he planes I rent...

The Stratus, Dual, Clarity and AFAIK all similar ADS-B portable receivers all include a WAAS GPS.

I'll need to check - It was first couple of flights and this is not something you can generally play with on the ground . . . since if it is not receiving data then you dont get any of the options - I'll take it with me today when I get up into the hills and have line of sight to ONT - see if I get the data and sit in the parking lot and play with it a little bit . . . .

There needs to be a) a better manual for or b) a simulator if there are going to be that many configuration options - the Stratus manual from Foreflight isn't much more than the Stratus manual with pictures . . .

I'll need to check - It was first couple of flights and this is not something you can generally play with on the ground . . . since if it is not receiving data then you dont get any of the options - I'll take it with me today when I get up into the hills and have line of sight to ONT - see if I get the data and sit in the parking lot and play with it a little bit . . . .

There needs to be a) a better manual for or b) a simulator if there are going to be that many configuration options - the Stratus manual from Foreflight isn't much more than the Stratus manual with pictures . . .

There's really not a need for a manual or simulator - It works exactly the same in the air with Stratus as it does on the ground with Internet data.

Before you fly next time, select the charts you want ("VFR Sectional" for example), Radar, and TFR's in the menu. Make sure you see what you expect on the ground (ie the Disney TFR). Then, turn the Stratus on, take off, and you should still see the TFR.

Thing is that on the ground the TFR's display even if they are not checked . . . . at least I think they do. There is no point to not displaying TFR's . . ..

Thing is that on the ground the TFR's display even if they are not checked . . . . at least I think they do. There is no point to not displaying TFR's . . ..

No, they don't display if you don't have them selected.

The point to not displaying them is that it's harder to see what's there under the shading on the chart. ForeFlight displays TFR's as soon as they're issued, even if they're not effective yet, so that you can plan adequately. If you're going to an airport within a TFR after it's issued but before it's effective, it can be difficult to read the info off the chart if they're always displayed.

Ok - I admit it - I"m stupid. . . I understand what everyone is saying. I just brain farted yesterday when I was typing -

I had the unit up in the hills where I had line of sight to ONT and got a signal from multiple sources - then I figured out what everyone was saying.

I have NOT been used to getting weather on the iPd obviously since I had been using the 496 and XM - but I get it now. . .

Doh! :mad2::mad2::D

Ok - I admit it - I"m stupid. . . I understand what everyone is saying. I just brain farted yesterday when I was typing -

I had the unit up in the hills where I had line of sight to ONT and got a signal from multiple sources - then I figured out what everyone was saying.

I have NOT been used to getting weather on the iPd obviously since I had been using the 496 and XM - but I get it now. . .

Doh! :mad2::mad2::D

Glad we could help!

I am REALLY happy to have weather in the cockpit all the time now with the Stratus - I couldn't bring myself to drop the coin required for a dedicated unit with XM before, so in the past I've only had in-cockpit weather in the club's Diamond on the G1000, and one summer where I was doing a ton of flying so I rented a 496. Flying is all about making decisions, and it's sure nice to have more information to make those decisions with!

Back