a very new note from my scrap book

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
June 27,2008 is a day that is very close in memory to the date I first soloed so long ago. It is a day where I soloed again in the new LSA class. For a few years I could not fly due to having a very busy "Day Job" and many home needs helping to take care of my mother-in-law. My bride this past spring encouraged me to fly again once I got out of the "Day Job" Well of course I started up at a real nice little airport W29 or Bay Bridge Airport.

I met a really nice instructor who had many years behind him and we hit it off right away. In a short time of 5 hours and lots of ground time Tom, told me it was time to fly on my own. Wow I thought a wish come true. The LSA plane that I was to solo is very light on the controls and needs just finger tips and light feet to work the stick and rudder. I always enjoy a nice stick and rudder plane. It reminded me so much of the planes I first learned in; The Champ, T-Craft and of course the J-3. Fun flying.

That June day was very hot and steamy here on the Cheasapeake. As I walked out to the hot tarmac I felt a blast of heat. The sun seemed to be baking eveything. I looked at the plane I was to fly and it seem to say;" Hurry up and lets go flying to cool off". A long preflight complete we soon were taxing to runway 11. I had brought my flight bag along for it weighs close to 20 pounds and I wanted weight in the plane. These LSA's planes are real weight sensitive and I had not flown it alone so I knew it would be a much different plane than I knew before. Soon I was at the end of the runway and time to fly. Butterflies in the tommy as I fed the power in and soon we lifted off the hot runway like a bird going home.

The air was smooth and very moist as I climbed to the east. I looked out to the left and saw the Chester River. The River seem to say to me; "Come over here and follow me to your childhood home" I turned the plane to follow the river. The air over the river was smooth and soft. It had that nice sweet smell to it. Even the plane seemed quieter over the river.

Looking ahead I began to see landmarks that have been burned into my memory. Comagies Bight bekond me and then Mellon Point. As Mellon Point slid under the nose I looked left and there was the farm house. The fields are gone now but I did see the equipment shed and short road where I flew my rubber band models when I was so young. I turned the plane to fly over the farm at 2100 feet and I felt a lump in my throat as we flew over. This is where all my yearning to learn to fly began with making models and dad telling me about all the planesthat he saw during his day. I circled over and just took it all in. I felt a slight slap as some heated air rose from the surface.

I soon headed back out over the river and started back to the airport for some pattern work. As I flew along I reflected on how lucky I am to fly solo again. I knew I had flown over this area on my frist solo x-c in a Champ and I had that same feeling. :)

Soon I was back in the tie down and a fellow pilot came by to chat. He told me that I must have had a real nice flight for he could see the smile on my face. It will be a day I will never forget just like the first time I soloed.

Thanks for reading

John J

It was a great flight for it reminded me so much of my time flying the Champ and that was fun :)

John,

The glory days are still here - They just need a gifted writer such as yourself to remind the rest of us now and then! Very cool story! :yes:

Kent;

Thank you very much for your kind note. Today early am I got to go fly again and wow it was so smooth and the air so sweet. The Bay was so blue this morning with a nice dry airmass overhead. The visibility was well over 50+ and that is unusal here at this time of year. It was great. When I got back it was just fun to be an airport person helping others with moving planes. You are so right the good old days definately are still here.

Thank you

John

One of the reasons John writes so well is that I think he actually WAS the airport kid.

Me Too!

One of the reasons John writes so well is that I think he actually WAS the airport kid.

Me Too!

Dr. Bruce, a fellow airport kid

Thank you so much.
I feel even today I still enjoy just either working at the airport by helping others or if my sore back can handle it I enjoy washing and waxing planes. Guess I can't get the "Airport Kid" out of me.

John

Nice write up, I enjoyed it ...an aviation mystery! (an LSA plane, that is)

Last edited:
Nice write up, I enjoyed it ...an aviation mystery! (an LSA plane, that is)

Dave;

It is an LSA and gosh it is fun. All my years of flying the bigger stuff these LSA's are fun if you remember light control use (finger tips and feet tips). The one I flew today in a stall will really wake a pilot up. It drop the left wing just like my old Beech and yes you get controls forward and Ops rudder. Get the air over the wings.

I really have fun flying these for it is basic flying, just like the Champ or T-Craft. but much more visibilty and cabin room. They land on a very short space (almost) with carefull flight management.

Thank you

John

John J

That was a very good story. I am thinking of my own situation as I read your story. Thanks for the nice feeling it gave me. Bob

Good on you John. I so happy that you have gotten in the Air once again.

Adam;

Thank you and is really feels good to be flying again. Tom my instructor now has me signed off in 3 models all from the same manufacture; Tecnam. Now I can stretch my wings and explore and as soon as the runway gets fixed at Tangier Island, I will head down and get some of those crabs.

Thank you again

John

That was a very good story. I am thinking of my own situation as I read your story. Thanks for the nice feeling it gave me. Bob

N9054N
1959 Cessna 182

Bob

Thanks so much for your note. I would be happy to share anything about flying the LSA's.

Your 1959 C-182 looks beautiful. I use to help an owner of one keep it polished and yes it was work but the joy of seeing all that shiny aluminum just cannot be beat.

Gosh it brings back memories of when I first flew a 1958 182. I love the early ones for they were fast and great short field planes.

Thank you

John

What kind of LSA? Make/model? I really enjoyed the Evektor SportStar I was flying...

Troy

The LSA's that I am renting from Chesapeake Sport Pilot are Tecnam's They have three models of which two of them are basically the same. They also have the Sky Arrow which is hard for me to get into without pain. There are no foot holds for them to make it easier.
The Tecnam models are;
Echo Super which is very much a wider cabin than the C-150. High braced wing. Rotax powered and it will cruise at 100 knots indicated in very smooth air. The panel is basic and engine gages are in European values ie pressure and temps.

Tecnam has a new model of the Echo Super called an Eaglet. It really is the same airplane with Americanization of instruments, toe brakes and avionics master switch. Same cruse speed

The last one is the Serria and that is a low wing plane that also has a canopy that can be opened in flight. The only weakness is that the wings are low to the ground and if there is a x-wind one can catch a tip easy.

The school is looking at getting an amphibian but the cost would be so high and weights might be a problem.

I have never seen the SportStar. I will take a look for I hope some day to share a plane for the renting is expensive.

I hope this helps

John J

The LSA's that I am renting from Chesapeake Sport Pilot are Tecnam's They have three models of which two of them are basically the same.
The Tecnams are good, honest airplanes. When I was looking, my choice was between the Tecnam Sierra and the Zodiac. In the end, I got the Zodiac because it was $25K cheaper, and because I could get it customized the way I wanted, and because I'm more comfortable flying behind an O-200 than a Rotax. I know some folks who went the other way, and are quite happy.

Chesapeake Sport Pilot is one of the biggest Tecnam dealers out there. I've heard lots of good things about them.

They also have the Sky Arrow which is hard for me to get into without pain. There are no foot holds for them to make it easier.

John,

There is a foothold on the Sky Arrow, but it's hidden - There's a spring-loaded cover. Look on the left side, there will be a part of the fuselage that has a foot-sized, upside-down-U-shaped cutout. You put your foot INTO the airplane! Takes some practice to find it on the way out of the airplane because you can't really see it when you're in the plane, but getting in you can look, insert foot, and climb in. :yes:

The Tecnams are good, honest airplanes. When I was looking, my choice was between the Tecnam Sierra and the Zodiac. In the end, I got the Zodiac because it was $25K cheaper, and because I could get it customized the way I wanted, and because I'm more comfortable flying behind an O-200 than a Rotax. I know some folks who went the other way, and are quite happy.

Chesapeake Sport Pilot is one of the biggest Tecnam dealers out there. I've heard lots of good things about them.

Jay;

I am still learning when flying the Rotax is not to panic when the Rev Counter goes above 2700 and climbs to 5 grand. I am still getting use to it. The Tecnam are nice honest planes I do enjoy the stick and rudder feel with them, no surprises and one can learn a lot flying them. I agree the Sierra is expensive. The Rotax is a learning curve for me. I had to use "Choke" to do a cold start up and I have not used a manual choke since my VW Bug. The fuel burn is nice around 4 per hour if one is easy on the throttle, and the speed is 95 to 100 knots.
The Chesapeake Sport Pilot are nice group of people who make it easy for us to fly and the local airport is real friendly to all. A great place to hang out.

Thank you

John

John J

John,

There is a foothold on the Sky Arrow, but it's hidden - There's a spring-loaded cover. Look on the left side, there will be a part of the fuselage that has a foot-sized, upside-down-U-shaped cutout. You put your foot INTO the airplane! Takes some practice to find it on the way out of the airplane because you can't really see it when you're in the plane, but getting in you can look, insert foot, and climb in. :yes:

Kent

Thanks for the info. I will check it out for I do want to try it out. It remindes me of the glider I had some time in;sits low and lots of visability.
I will check it out.

John

Back