A Velocity and $30,000

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Ok, here's the program, time to climb and maximum altitude with a reciprocating engine. At extreme altitude a spray of equal weight nitromethane and nitrous oxide, a throttled reciprocating rocket. I figure the above and a prop, another ? , would be what it would take. Any interest?

At 3:00 am, .....in the middle of the night........ you jump out of bed...... and think of this? :rofl:

Bring O2, and a parachute. ;)

Last edited:
At 3:00 am, .....in the middle of the night........ you jump out of bed...... and think of this? :rofl:

Bring O2, and a parachute. ;)

I was brought down early with food poisoning last light, this was distractive thought on the recovery clean up.;) But yeah, this is the crap my head does at 3am.:D

I'm actually hoping for pressure suit altitude doing a contra rotating wing span propulsion set for really high altitude.

Last edited:
I was brought down early with food poisoning last light, this was distractive thought on the recovery clean up.;) But yeah, this is the crap my head does at 3am.:D

You gotta stop eating raw stuff, and no buffets. ;)

Food poisoning is the worst. Sorry man.

Better talk to Burt Rutan on your project. :yesnod:

Last edited:
You gotta stop eating raw stuff, and no buffets. ;)

Food poisoning is the worst. Sorry man.

Better talk to Burt Rutan on your project. :yesnod:
Not just buffet but tail end of bar anniversary party buffet...:hairraise: Yeah, I should have known better.:rofl: not like it was good, mustard BBQ?

Not just buffet but tail end of bar anniversary party buffet...:hairraise: Yeah, I should have known better.:rofl: not like it was good, mustard BBQ?

Oh yea. Been there, puked that. :rofl:

"This too shall pass" :rofl:

:eek:

Last edited:
I eat all my veggies raw, only way I like em. A good cold fresh water rinse goes a heck of a long way with veggies, the addition of a sanitizing agent goes the rest. I like em straight out of the dirt.

It was a neighborhood lesbian bar's 13th anniversary. I was there because my landlady's sister is in the Band that was performing. I think one of the old dykes poisoned me...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It was a neighborhood lesbian bar's 13th anniversary. I was there because my landlady's sister is in the Band that was performing. I think one of the old dykes poisoned me...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now that is funny. :rofl::rofl:

A guy walks into a lesbian bar..........:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Insert joke here.

You trying to perform conversions? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've wondered if a cluster of PW 4062's could lift enough jet fuel and nitrous oxide to get to orbit.

I've wondered if a cluster of PW 4062's could lift enough jet fuel and nitrous oxide to get to orbit.

It be interesting to try, how much nitrous oxide would have to be carried aloft to keep the engines burning to take it past 75,000' with enough thrust to get it into an orbit? Seems like a big lift to me but hey, stick a tank in a 777 frieghter and a spray system and see how it goes...

I want to do it with a 400hp recip though, a reciprocating rocket...

It's called a mass-injected jet, and the DARPA's FALCON tried to do that (unfortunately SpaceX Falcon booster poisions the web search results, but it's out there somewhere). IIRC it was called "MPICC".

You'd still need 2nd stage though. The reason for it is that although oxygen is "free", the machinery to capture and use it is not, and it turns out that the mass fraction is just bad for you. Good old Tsiolkovskiy does the rest. Henry Spencer once wrote an article about it, that brought up the X-30 trades. They pitted an air-breathing design against the one using just LOX, with other parameters controlled. In the end the aibreather has way worse performance due to the excess dry mass. They didn't use MPICC though, just a normal ramjet.

As far as I am concerned, X-30 answers the question. However, some folks still try. Most notable is Dr. Bond or Reaction Engines. Price tag to first flight: $2 billion to first flight in 2008 dollars. He does it by disposing with the turbine into which you wanted to squirt the nitromethane. Instead the air is liquified on the fly using an ingenious precooler, which takes almost 9/10 of the engine. The result is burned in a regular engine, which allows to do the final push outside of the atmosphere. I think he's crazy, even though technically it should work. Others are just a bunch of idiots on a government teat. For example, there's a group at ISRO that wants to use a scramjet stage for an ingeious Indian RLV.

Last edited:
You know what would be a fun project though? Buy the discarded Learjet that Rocketplane tried to mod and basically complete their work. I think without the weight of George French onboard, it could easily break Kaman Line (please pardon the pun). Use a real engine with good Isp and you're beating Virgin Galactic. Sadly, it takes more than $30 thousand. More like $30 million.

You know what would be a fun project though? Buy the discarded Learjet that Rocketplane tried to mod and basically complete their work. I think without the weight of George French onboard, it could easily break Kaman Line (please pardon the pun). Use a real engine with good Isp and you're beating Virgin Galactic. Sadly, it takes more than $30 thousand. More like $30 million.

That would be so cool I don't think it could happen, sorry.

Too many things have to happen first; little things that bring big things to light.

Back