A touch of... ice.

AirBaker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
AirBaker
Finally got to experience a bit of ice this weekend. I was flying back on a short IFR flight from Marina KOAR to KRHV. About 5000', the OAT was just touching 0 degrees C. I was asked to climb to 6000' and the wings just started to look a bit different. The leading edges started to get darker in color and took on a rough texture to them. I kept an eye on my next waypoint and ground speed. Within the next few miles, I was asked to descend back to 5000' and it all went away.

I didn't notice any performance issues over the short flight, and had plenty of outs. Interesting nonetheless.

Hopefully that's the worst you'll ever experience, but it may get real bad instead.

Finally got to experience a bit of ice this weekend. I was flying back on a short IFR flight from Marina KOAR to KRHV. About 5000', the OAT was just touching 0 degrees C. I was asked to climb to 6000' and the wings just started to look a bit different. The leading edges started to get darker in color and took on a rough texture to them. I kept an eye on my next waypoint and ground speed. Within the next few miles, I was asked to descend back to 5000' and it all went away.

I didn't notice any performance issues over the short flight, and had plenty of outs. Interesting nonetheless.

Is your plane, a FIKI bird ? Did you file a PIREP or notify ATC ?

Is your plane, a FIKI bird ? Did you file a PIREP or notify ATC ?

I've picked up ice in an airplane that was not certified for it. I filed a PIREP and notified FlightWatch. My view is that if I run into it unintentionally that means another pilot could do the same thing. I'd like to give them a warning.

I know some people have said they will no longer give PIREPs because of the new FAA definition of known ice. They are afraid of a bust. That's their choice I guess. I know I'd have a hard time living with myself if an airplane went down because of ice and I didn't give a PIREP. There comes a point to where you have to consider human life over the tiny chance of some asshat busting you.

Last edited:
I've picked up ice in an airplane that was not certified for it. I filed a PIREP and notified FlightWatch. My view is that if I run into it unintentionally that means another pilot could do the same thing. I'd like to give them a warning.

How'd ya pick up ice VFR anyway? :dunno:

Good on ya for calling it in.

I know some people have said they will no longer give PIREPs because of the new FAA definition of known ice. They are afraid of a bust.

I believe that it is REQUIRED to file a PIREP if you experience ice. :dunno:

I'd sure hope they'd never bust someone for doing so. I'm not aware of any.

I am aware of an instance where someone filed a CYA PIREP that was bogus - A 152 in IMC stated 3 miles vis, right in front of me. Controller informed me of that and offered me a visual approach. Hah! I flew the ILS, and it was low enough that I logged the approach too.

That attitude has got to stop. Nothing's worse than a bogus PIREP.

Jesse got into some precip while VFR in the DA20. I think it was light snow. Vis was still good and they were out of the clouds. He called me shortly after, cursing about how they didnt have a pitot heater on the airplane.

Jesse got into some precip while VFR in the DA20. I think it was light snow. Vis was still good and they were out of the clouds. He called me shortly after, cursing about how they didnt have a pitot heater on the airplane.

Oh yeah.

Who could forget Jesse and the lack of pitot heat... :rofl:

I know some people have said they will no longer give PIREPs because of the new FAA definition of known ice. They are afraid of a bust. That's their choice I guess. I know I'd have a hard time living with myself if an airplane went down because of ice and I didn't give a PIREP. There comes a point to where you have to consider human life over the tiny chance of some asshat busting you.

Its not (only) the fear of getting busted by filing the PIREP, its the FAA applying that PIREP to everyone else.

Last edited:
Back