A Toast to my Uncle Frank (N/A)

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
My uncle Frank died yesterday morning at about 2:00 a.m. He lived a long life and was a genuine hero to his nation (WWII) and to me, personally. He was the most consistently and enthusiastically encouraging individual I have ever had the honor and privilege of knowing, and I will miss him.

He was an electronics technician in the Navy, and he was the one who first got me interested in electronics when I was five or six years old. He also gave me some of the tools he used in the Navy, which I cherish to this day. He was also an accomplished musician who urged me to take up the guitar when I was ten, and he spent hours listening to and gently critiquing my efforts.

More recently, when I decided to finally fulfill my lifelong dream of learning to fly, he was the only one in my family who encouraged me. The rest of the family said I was crazy and tried to talk me out of it, and still do, whenever they get the chance. But not Frank. He urged me to follow my dreams, as he did everyone else who sought his counsel.

I can only hope that in the years I have left in my life, I learn to be half as gentle, kind, and encouraging as Frank was to everyone who knew him. I doubt I'll ever succeed; it was just in his nature. But in his honor, I'll try.

Here's to you, Uncle Frank. May you rest in peace. I will miss you.

Rich

Sorry about your loss.

May we all have the privilege of having an 'Uncle Frank' in our lives. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.

:cheerswine::cheerswine:

Rich, I am sorry for your loss. With him being the only one to encourage you in your efforts to fly, did you ever get to take him for a flight?

No, I am still a few hours and a XC solo away from being able to do that. I was hoping he would be my first legal passenger.

Thanks.

Rich

Rich, I'm sorry for the loss.

Fair winds to Uncle Frank.

Seems to me Frank will be with you whenever you fly.

Rich,

Sorry for your loss. Your uncle Frank sounded like a true glass half full guy, the never say never type that believes you can do it if you just keep at it. People like that are a special gift, treasure his memory and the life lessons he taught you, I'm sure he would be proud.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind replies. They help a lot.

Best,

Rich

Sorry to hear about your loss, Rich - it's especially hard when you've lost someone as special as this man was. I know you'll keep him in your heart... :)

Rich, Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost an aunt two years ago that was the most generous and kind person that I have ever known. The older I get, the the harder it gets to accept the passing of people that influenced my life. I'm sure your uncle will be watching (from the back seat) when you do your check ride.

Rich,
What an excellent tribute - very well written. Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Fair winds and following seas as a sailor goes home.

Greg

Back