A take on a recent thread - landed at 15 airports without refueling

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
I was looking for some small adventure, that would be inexpensive, to take my Zenith CH601 XLB on. I saw the recent threat about the guy who landed at 13 airports in one day, though I think he refueled along the way.

In order to do this cheaply I changed the plan - how many could I land at on a single fill up and still make it back to my home airport?

After much planning and calculating it seemed like 15 would be possible.

My engine is a Lycoming O-235-C1 and the plane holds 12 gallons a side, 24 total with 23 usable. I figured if I throttled back to between 2300 - 2400 rpm, and stayed down around 2500 feet for most of the flight I might make all 15.

Starting from Pine Mountain Lake (E45) I would then do - Mariposa, Madera, Chowchilla, Merced, Turlock, Modesto, New Jerusalem, Tracy, Stockton, Kingdon, Lodi, Franklin, Amador Westover, Calaveras, Columbia and back to Pine Mountain Lake.

All of the landings were touch and go's. I did not stop anywhere. Two were towered fields. Apparently my flight plan was solid as I made all 15 and landed with an hours reserve.

Total distance: 293 miles
Total Fuel consumed: 18.7 gallons
Total Flight time: 3.9 hours
Fuel remaining on landing: 5.5 gallons
Average fuel burn: 4.79 gallons per hour

This was fun and challenging. There was not a lot of time in between airports and most of them I had never been to before. It was a great way to spend a Friday morning!

Last edited:
Nice, I did like 5 one time. You have to be on your game when they are close together!

That's actually a pretty neat exercise! Would be a great way for newer pilots to get a lot of XC experience in one shot. 3.9 hours flying to 15 airports builds more experience than 3.9 hours from point A to point B.

Wow, now that's a hard-earned 3.9!
What did you use for Nav? GPS, or pilotage+fun?

I was looking for some small adventure, that would be inexpensive, to take my Zenith CH601 XLB on. I saw the recent threat about the guy who landed at 13 airports in one day, though I think he refueled along the way.

In order to do this cheaply I changed the plan - how many could I land at on a single fill up and still make it back to my home airport?

After much planning and calculating it seemed like 15 would be possible.

My engine is a Lycoming O-235-C1 and the plane holds 12 gallons a side, 24 total with 23 usable. I figured if I throttled back to between 2300 - 2400 rpm, and stayed down around 2500 feet for most of the flight I might make all 15.

Starting from Pine Mountain Lake (E45) I would then do - Mariposa, Madera, Chowchilla, Merced, Turlock, Modesto, New Jerusalem, Tracy, Stockton, Kingdon, Lodi, Franklin, Amador Westover, Calaveras, Columbia and back to Pine Mountain Lake.

All of the landings were touch and go's. I did not stop anywhere. Two were towered fields. Apparently my flight plan was solid as I made all 15 and landed with an hours reserve.

Total distance: 293 miles
Total Fuel consumed: 18.7 gallons
Total Flight time: 3.9 hours
Fuel remaining on landing: 5.5 gallons
Average fuel burn: 4.79 gallons per hour

This was fun and challenging. There was not a lot of time in between airports and most of them I had never been to before. It was a great way to spend a Friday morning!
For the record I didn’t refuel

I just planned a trip for sometime in the near future. 20 airports, 274sm. If I can call and add a few private strips, I can bump that up a little (4 more and add only 10 miles). With calm winds, my 150f should theoretically be able to make it. But I won’t be able to to do all TnG as the smallest runway is 1800’ turf and lots of them have tall trees around.
But it gets me everything from short grass to class D and class C.

2NK9 N45 KMGJ N72 06N N82 20N 46N 1A1 1B1 NY1 4B0 KALB 5B7 KPSF KGBR 09N 44N KPOU 2NK9

Wow, now that's a hard-earned 3.9!
What did you use for Nav? GPS, or pilotage+fun?
I use an IFly 740b gps and run the same software on my cell phone as backup

E45 KMPI KMAE 2O6 KMCE 9CL0 KMOD 1Q4 KTCY KSCK O20 1O3 F72 KJAQ KCPU O22 E45

SPmodmu.png

Looks like fun. It’s more taxing than you think.

yep, that was it!

You're based out of Pine Mountain Lake? I've always wanted to go check out the lake, but I can't figure out the last mile from the airport. Is there any way to have a $100 burger or get to the lake out of there for someone not based?

Also, congrats on the feat! I must try it someday. This area is so dense with airports, even more might be possible. I did something similar when breaking in a new cylinder, though it was only six airports. I did start from PAO, though, and did five along the foothills, including Pine Mountain Lake.

You're based out of Pine Mountain Lake? I've always wanted to go check out the lake, but I can't figure out the last mile from the airport. Is there any way to have a $100 burger or get to the lake out of there for someone not based?

Also, congrats on the feat! I must try it someday. This area is so dense with airports, even more might be possible. I did something similar when breaking in a new cylinder, though it was only six airports. I did start from PAO, though, and did five along the foothills, including Pine Mountain Lake.

There are a couple of transportation options. We've used this lady, I cant remember her name but she runs a car service. You need to call ahead
2097706277. I think her name is Carol.

Also, there is another ride service that posts on the airport bulletin board. I dont have their info.

If youre coming this way id be happy to get the contact ingo for you.

I’m going to top this. I’ll land at 15 airports and one gravel county road without refueling. Also, one of the landings will be dead stick. Also, can one of you guys bring me a Jerry can of avgas? County road 17, east of the old country church. Thanks in advance!

Seriously, trips like this really are a great way to practice landings without the rut of staying in a familiar pattern for a familiar runway. Be safe and have fun!

Would that be feasible IFR just to get practice in the system and on the radio? How would you file that?

Hmmm, taking off just above max landing weight I could have 145 gallon usable on board...this sounds like a fun challenge for once back in the US :D

You inspire me. I can do 18 landings in 365 miles. At about 4 hours and 8 gal an hour I could do that on one 48 gal fill up.

Back