A stick between your knees.......or?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
A yoke in front of you.......or......a little joystick in your left hand?

What do you like the best? If you could have any configuration you wanted, in any plane, what would be your choice?

John

For me:

Yoke, trigear configured, experimental aircraft, costs less than $10,000 to build, goes about 140 knots on < 5gph.

There is no such plane though. So stick will work just fine.

No configuration is "best", as it's all a matter of what you're used to, but I have really grown to like the old-fashioned center stick.

A yoke in front of you.......or......a little joystick in your left hand?

What do you like the best? If you could have any configuration you wanted, in any plane, what would be your choice?

John

Depends.

I don't mind the yoke in the 182 - It lets me have a little more freedom of movement which is nice to keep the blood flowing on long trips.

If I were to get a Swift, which originally came from the factory with yokes, I'd be jonesing for the upgrade to a stick.

On Center vs. Side stick - Well, I think the side stick is a little more ergonomic, but it's not really that important to me. The right plane for the mission, and one that's well harmonized, is more important than where the stick is.

Sticks are more fun. :yes: :goofy: However, that is probably more related to the airplane they're attached to. :)

IMHO you can't beat the old fashioned Stick and rudder setup. It just seems right

Stick. Yokes are annoying--their designed for two hands but you always fly them with one which doesn't feel very balanced.

Stick between the knees feels right somehow...like it's more natural.

Yoke or stick in front. I absolutely do NOT like the sidestick.

Stick. Yokes are annoying--their designed for two hands but you always fly them with one which doesn't feel very balanced.
But, that's how they should be flown... and, with only three fingers. You're not gripping a handgun! :)

Center stick in the right hand, throttle on the left please.

Nothing else feels as right.

But, that's how they should be flown... and, with only three fingers. You're not gripping a handgun! :)
Of course- That is what I'm saying. The way you should fly them isn't the way the yoke is designed. Using one hand puts the yoke off-balance as you are pushing about five inches off of the 'center'.

Of course- That is what I'm saying. The way you should fly them isn't the way the yoke is designed. Using one hand puts the yoke off-balance as you are pushing about five inches off of the 'center'.

Not to mention a lot of yokes actually have pistol grip style fingerings on them, so I suspect the current technique of "don't use your whole hand" was developed and spread as folklore, personally.

Sure looks like you're supposed to grip it.

Not to mention a lot of yokes actually have pistol grip style fingerings on them, so I suspect the current technique of "don't use your whole hand" was developed and spread as folklore, personally.

Sure looks like you're supposed to grip it.
Yep, it looks like it but you won't have the feel to what the plane is doing. Pilots tend to brace their arm on their leg or door arm rest and then hold the yoke just as firm. Hence, they don't feel the pressures as well as with when using only three fingers. If the plane is trimmed properly, all you need is a few fingers save a little more than mild turbulence.

I'm thinking of coming up with a sticker to put on the left yoke...

"Don't accept that. Put it where you want it and trim!"

Center stick's great for flying, but for navigating I like a yoke...I can spread the sectional out a little farther on my lap.

The yoke in my Maule is great...I can rest my elbow on the windowsill and my hand on top of the yoke. Fly that way for hours. :)

The ram's horn yoke in the Hawkers is great, too...wrists on my knees, index finger hooked over each end. Fly that way for hours. :)

Fly safe!

David

I've now got nearly as much time with a stick as I did with yokes in various aircraft. I think I like the stick better.

Now, as to which hand...I'm learning to fly with my right hand on the stick and my left on the throttle, and it still feels a little weird. I also still push with my right hand and with my left differently at the wrong moment sometimes. As I practice more with those hands, I expect that effect to go away.

I'll probably still fly with my left hand on the stick when I'm in the left seat, just because that makes twiddling switches and the like easier.

I learned to fly in a Symphony: carburated 160hp Lycoming, center stick, castering nosewheel. The stick was a gas, and felt very comfortable and natural in the hand. You could fly it with one fingertip on top of the stick.

Checking controls free and clear meant hauling the stick around, and wasn't too comfortable with a decent sized kneeboard, but I coped.

It took me a while to get used to the yoke of a Skyhawk, after having 80+ hours with a stick. To me the stick felt more natural, like leaning into a turn on a motorcycle.

350_mf_fseats.JPG

Checking controls free and clear meant hauling the stick around, and wasn't too comfortable with a decent sized kneeboard, but I coped.

Hint: When not using the kneeboard, roll it off to the side of your leg away from the stick.

I think you get used to whatever is in front of you. The vast majority of my time is with a conventional yoke. I've used the rams horn style in the Hawker which reminded me of steering a tricycle but really wasn't as strange as it looks. I've also used a stick, which I like for doing aerobatics. I don't think a yoke would be as convenient for that. I didn't have any problems transitioning to the stick, however I sometimes found it awkward to work the throttle smoothly with my left hand (I am right handed). My only experience with a side stick is about an hour in an A320 sim. That was also a little different but I think I could get used to it easily. The only weird thing was, when I took my right hand off the throttles at V1 I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Normally I would have both hands on the yoke. Putting it in my lap seemed unnatural. :dunno:

Checking controls free and clear...
I've often heard pilots say "Flight controls free and clear." But I've yet to see a checklist written that way by a manufacturer. It has always been written, "Free and Correct."

The way I teach it... "Free; moving freely, not binding or limited in motion. Correct; the flight controls are moving the direction intended while operating the yoke." I point out the possibility of a damaged flight control or internal rigging. Or, an aircraft could have been reassembled incorrectly after maintenance and not properly checked. People have died as a result so it's not a minor task in the checklist.

[/soap box] :)

I've often heard pilots say "Flight controls free and clear." But I've yet to see a checklist written that way by a manufacturer. It has always been written, "Free and Correct."

The way I teach it... "Free; moving freely, not binding or limited in motion. Correct; the flight controls are moving the direction intended while operating the yoke." I point out the possibility of a damaged flight control or internal rigging. Or, an aircraft could have been reassembled incorrectly after maintenance and not properly checked. People have died as a result so it's not a minor task in the checklist.

You're right - until now I've never used "clear". :redface: It is "correct", and my CFII make sure I look back at the rudder and elevator and confirm the direction of movement.

The yoke grasped in the middle, between the horns for most everything except hard yanking and banking is the most comfortable for me. Yokes leave more unobstructed space for charts & writing & extra curricular flight activities but, center sticks have to be OK too, I've got two.

Last edited:
Working airplane, center stick. Travelling airplane, side stick, though I would prefer it in my right hand.

I've only used a stick a total of 20 minutes (a T6 and a Citabria) but it makes me wonder.... Where would I put the yoke mounted toy of the week on a stick?
I could get used to it.

Since 85% of my hours or so were solo, and I always flew a side by side, I preferred the yoke so I could sit in the seat canted and stretch my legs. That wouldn't work with a stick in many cases.

Where would I put the yoke mounted toy of the week on a stick?.

As Diana posted, attached to a frame. Of course that works well on a rag and tube aircraft.
I also attached my to a leg strap. One knee held the GPS, the other knee held a clipboard.
I also have a RAM suction cup and various length clamp arms with knuckles.
The suction cup sticks to any flat, smooth surface.

I've only used a stick a total of 20 minutes (a T6 and a Citabria) but it makes me wonder.... Where would I put the yoke mounted toy of the week on a stick?
I could get used to it.
stick it to the panel.

Attachments

• rear panel.JPG
    rear panel.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I would prefer a center stick, but will settle for the yoke in my Tiger.

Stick and rudder.....I hate flying airplanes with steering wheels. :rolleyes:

The Pitts S2-B was my first flying with a center stick. After a few minutes it felt very natural. Most of my time is with a yoke so that is more "comfortable".

I'll add to your soapbox...

Most of us do this check during the RUNUP. On a windy day, you best do the "F&C" check before you taxi, else you might be providing incorrect wind correction inputs (you do correct for the wind while taxiing, right??).

Oh, and my favorite (for this thread) is center stick.

I'll add to your soapbox...

Most of us do this check during the RUNUP. On a windy day, you best do the "F&C" check before you taxi, else you might be providing incorrect wind correction inputs (you do correct for the wind while taxiing, right??).

Oh, and my favorite (for this thread) is center stick.
Yep, I do. Along with some backpressure on the yoke.

My only stick time was during spin training in a Super D. I wanna do that again!

The Hawker just says "FREE"...guess I'll have to quit saying "Clear". ;)

On airplanes where I CAN see the flight controls, it's "free and correct", regardless of what the manufacturer says.

Fly safe!

David

Here's a picture of mine:

Attachments

• GPS mount photos 031 (800 x 600).jpg
    GPS mount photos 031 (800 x 600).jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 22
Back