A Small Piece of History...

colomtnflyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
iAM in AK!
A few hrs ago, I was called by my dispatch office to prepare for a popup charter. While checking in, I looked out the office window just as a P-51 Mustang and a P-38 Lightning taxied by to Rwy 22 here at KHOU.

After about a 4 minute runup, the P-38 launched, and then immediately after, the P-51 rolled...

I'm not sure where they came from, or where they were headed... but to see and hear 2 of the most fantastic aircraft from WW II as they took off was an inspiring moment! I had never seen a flying P-38 before, so it was a special treat!

I obviously wasn't the only one who thought so... The ramp in front of Southwest's MX hangar was crowded with mechanics also watching this duo... No doubt, there were others I didn't see also appreciating what they were seeing.

Somewhere, another crowd is in for a treat, to see this pair land at some as-yet unknown airport....

By the way- my trip got cancelled at the last minute... All dressed up and nowhere to fly... but timing is everything!

Glacier Girl?

It and a P51 are supposed to be heading across the atlantic for an airshow in England...

Or, they're heading for 2007 Rocky Mountain Regional Flyin at Front Range for this weekend ... see http://www.rmrfi.org/ ... hmmm, someone told me they were coming, but I don't see it on the event listing ...

from steve's link they are headed to kentucky then Teterboro where they will launch for England.

They have a scheduled appearance on a morning TV show Thursday while at Teterboro. Not sure which network.

from steve's link they are headed to kentucky then Teterboro where they will launch for England.

It'll be a sad day when airplanes like these show up and a crowd DOESN'T form.

Back