A SIGMET for Icing?

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I saw this on ADDS this afternoon, and I guess I never thought about icing so sever that it would raise a SIGMET vs. an AIRMET.

Is this very unusual, or have I just missed it in the past?

airmets_IC.gif

You wont see them real often. maybe 10 or so a winter and usually over the great lakes region. Usually they are spawned by severe icing Pireps...even FIKI are prohibited from entering that..not that they would want to anyway.

I'm under that, and have seen patches of blue most of the day. There is no way it is severe icing out there.

I'm under that, and have seen patches of blue most of the day. There is no way it is severe icing out there.
Just got a report from a friend who was flying up in the Green Bay area. They were VFR and picked up an 1/8" of ice in a very lite mist. They also had OVC skies, no blue patches.

Freezing drizzle is in the TAF this evening at KGRB, at the northwest corner of the SIGMET.

This morning, the car temperature was reading 10°F. I was picking up liquid drizzle that froze to the windshield. The car wasn't heated (IOW...I wasn't partially melting stuff that subsequently refroze). I needed a spray of windshield de-icer periodically to keep driving.

This PIREP got my attention in this SIGMET area over SW Michigan (Kalamazoo I think):

PIREP 18:15Z 01/06/10
AZO UUA /OV AZO /TM 1815 /FL055 /TP E145 /TA M07 /IC SEV CLR BLO 055

For an ERJ to report severe icing is chilling to me (no pun intended.) What must life be like for a light aircraft to wander into those conditions?

Thanks for the explanation, Scott! I'll check out your website as well.

Do you fly out of Rock Hill (UZA)? I learned to fly at Monroe (EQY) about 5 years ago.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for the red SIGMET box in the picture in the original post -- all I see are blue AIRMET boxes for moderate (two sticks) icing. Am I missing something?

I'm still looking for the red SIGMET box in the picture in the original post -- all I see are blue AIRMET boxes for moderate (two sticks) icing. Am I missing something?

It was there yesterday but not now?

I cut and pasted the picture. I don't know how it changed. Perhaps I needed to save it as a picture, and then attach it to the post.

Back