A Serious Laser Incident

wanttaja

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Wanttaja
The government in Egypt sent military helicopters to fly over a nighttime demonstration. Not a good idea, in the age of $3 laser pointers....

Ron Wanttaja

Attachments

• egypt1.jpg
    egypt1.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 151
  • egypt2.jpg
    egypt2.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 167
The government in Egypt sent military helicopters to fly over a nighttime demonstration. Not a good idea, in the age of $3 laser pointers....

Ron Wanttaja

Score one for the little guy....:yes::)

Many of the docents at the Udvar-Hazy center carry green pointers to indicate things on exhibits hanging high in the museum. The joke when that picture got published was "Who authorized a docent field trip without Margy's permission."

Coincidentally, I was targeted last night with a single Red Laser light while on an ILS at St. Augustine airport. After I landed, I called Jacksonville Approach and filed a report. Approach also told me after I landed, the Sheriff's office arrested the suspect aiming the laser at aircrafts. Previously that evening, apparently the suspect aimed the laser at someone and they called the police. Therefore, the Sheriff office was already searching for the culprit.

At 10NM out, it looked like a red LED police light, as I approached 6NM at FAF it was apparent that it was a laser light. I was temporarily blinded and looked away while my student had his eyes inside.

I checked the St. Johns County arrest website and it hasn't been updated with a mug shot yet.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I was targeted last night with a single Red Laser light while on an ILS at St. Augustine airport. After I landed, I called Jacksonville Approach and filed a report. Approach also told me after I landed, the Sheriff's office arrested the suspect aiming the laser at aircrafts. Previously that evening, apparently the suspect aimed the laser at someone and they called the police. Therefore, the Sheriff office was already searching for the culprit.

At 10NM out, it looked like a red LED police light, as I approached 6NM at FAF it was apparent that it was a laser light. I was temporarily blinded and looked away while my student had his eyes inside.

I checked the St. Johns County arrest website and it hasn't been updated with a mug shot yet.

Jeez that's a little close to home :yikes:

Back