A Sentimental Aviation Gift

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
This Saturday my wife and I made a celebration and invited friends and family. Of the guests was a mentor, HS teacher, and friend.

My mentor is a Retired USAF pilot, vietnam veteran and was an active GA pilot before joining the AF. He paid for his FAA ticket with monies earned himself while yet a teenager, before he had a driver's license. He then joined CAP and then the AF. His involvement in CAP continued even after his AF retirement.

This weekend, he decided to gift me what he said was the last thing that says he is "still a pilot" and can pass a medical. He gited me his ANR headset.

I am honored to receive the gift, but I am puzzled - be looks quite healthy to me. I briefly mentioned the LSA rules and he retorted about the abolishment of the 3rd class being near, but his mind is made up that he will never be PIC again.

Why in the world do I feel like I'm writing his eulogy when he's far from dead.

It's common for some pilots who have had a long and happy flying career,to decide to give it up while they are still in good health. They figure they have done it all. I have had a couple of pilots who have even refused a ride and lunch. You'll know when it's time,is a statement I've heard several times.

Back