A sad sight and a good sight all in the same area.

One Friday night after October 2016 during a smaller race at dusk . 3200agl and above the TFR.
You can see the excavation in the background of the future airport. I had no idea it was being built then.
027_4.jpg

030_4.jpg

For me, at least, F1 requires a great deal of attention to be enjoyed. I used to follow F1 closely, back when I was racing sports cars. That was when Senna, Mansell, and Proust were at the top, then later Schumacher. I had subscriptions to several racing magazines, followed websites, etc., and I was usually up to date on the technology, different teams' strategies and testing, what the engineers were doing, all the stuff that was happening in the background. It was fascinating, and races were the proving ground to see who got it right.

Now that I'm no longer putting that sort of time into it, the races themselves are okay, but not nearly as interesting when I knew all back stories. F1 is racing where the drama gets played out over days and weeks and seasons, not just on race day.

With the current TV deal in the US, you just have to watch the pre-race show. They keep you up to date with everything. With commentators that actually know the sport. Including several former drivers, include a couple of world champion drivers.

Back